Defining the integral of 1-forms without parametrization

In summary: The alternative definition of the distance I mentioned is useful in spectral geometry because the other one doesn't work. I am not sure how integrals are defined in spectral geometry, but maybe the answer to your question lies there.Thank you for the link to this excellent book.
mma
We saw in the thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=238464" that arc length that is usually defined by taking an arbitrary parametrisation of the curve as

[tex]l(\gamma)=\int_{0}^{1} {|\dot\gamma(t)|} dt[/tex]​

can be defined also by avoiding parametrization, introducing the notion of the distance of points as

[tex]d(x,y) = \sup\{|a(y)-a(x)| : a \in C(M), \Vert{\mathrm{grad} a\Vert _\infty \leq 1\}[/tex]​

where

[tex] \Vert{\mathrm{grad} a\Vert _\infty = sup\{\mathrm{grad} a|_x: x \in M\}[/tex]​

(see equation 3.5 on page 34 of http://ncg.mimuw.edu.pl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=148&Itemid=98", thanks gel for finding it).

The defnition of the integral of an 1-form over a curve is also defined usually by taking a parametrization of the curve:

[tex]\int_\gamma \omega =\int_{0}^{1} \omega(\dot\gamma(t)) dt[/tex]​

I wondered if we can find a definition of this integral also by avoiding the parametrization.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I only see an alternative definition of the distance on a Riemannian manifold, not of the arc-length of a curve, am I missing something?
Also, the only definition of a curve that I know of is "a function from an interval to the space/manifold", and then you can identify curves which differ only by reparametrization. So it seems like you need a new definition of a curve if you want to avoid parametrizations.

yyat said:
I only see an alternative definition of the distance on a Riemannian manifold, not of the arc-length of a curve, am I missing something?

Yes, the definition of the arc length isn't given here. It is as usual, the limit of the sum of the distances of finite numbers of successive points on the curve as the maximum of these distances approaches to 0.

yyat said:
Also, the only definition of a curve that I know of is "a function from an interval to the space/manifold", and then you can identify curves which differ only by reparametrization. So it seems like you need a new definition of a curve if you want to avoid parametrizations.

I mean the images of curves.

mma said:
Yes, the definition of the arc length isn't given here. It is as usual, the limit of the sum of the distances of finite numbers of successive points on the curve as the maximum of these distances approaches to 0.

I mean the images of curves.

In both of these statements you are assuming (I think) that the image of the curve is an embedded manifold, but a general curve can be non-injective and non-immersive.
For example, how do you define successive points without a parametrization? Think for example of the curve that goes around the unit circle a few times, stopping and chaning direction in the process.

yyat said:
In both of these statements you are assuming (I think) that the image of the curve is an embedded manifold, but a general curve can be non-injective and non-immersive.
For example, how do you define successive points without a parametrization? Think for example of the curve that goes around the unit circle a few times, stopping and chaning direction in the process.

OK. I mean one-dimensional connected, simply connected submanifolds.

mma said:
OK. I mean one-dimensional connected, simply connected submanifolds.

In that case the path-integral is the same as the usual integral of a 1-form on a 1-D manifold, but that is defined in terms of charts (is there a different definition?), which are (local) parametrizations.

I think you need to explain why you want to get rid of parametrizations in the path integral. For instance, the alternative definition of the distance you gave is useful in spectral geometry because the other one doesn't work. I am not sure how integrals are defined in spectral geometry, but maybe the answer to your question lies there.

yyat said:
I think you need to explain why you want to get rid of parametrizations in the path integral.

I have only aesthetic reasons and curiosity.

Unfortunately, I don't know spectral geometry.

mma said:
I have only aesthetic reasons and curiosity.

Unfortunately, I don't know spectral geometry.

You might want to check out Chapter 6.1 of http://alainconnes.org/en/downloads.php" by A. Connes. It also talks about the alternative definition of the distance you mentioned and gives a definition of the integral in terms of a trace.

yyat said:
You might want to check out Chapter 6.1 of http://alainconnes.org/en/downloads.php" by A. Connes. It also talks about the alternative definition of the distance you mentioned and gives a definition of the integral in terms of a trace.

Thank you for the link to this excellent book. But I'm afraid it's of little avail to me.

What is the definition of an integral of 1-forms without parametrization?

The integral of 1-forms without parametrization is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the area under a curve in a vector space without the use of a specific parameterization. Instead, it is defined in terms of the smoothness of the 1-form and the domain of integration.

What is the importance of defining the integral of 1-forms without parametrization?

This definition allows for a more general and abstract approach to calculating integrals, making it applicable to a wider range of mathematical problems. It also eliminates the need for a specific parameterization, which can be difficult to determine in certain cases.

How is the integral of 1-forms without parametrization calculated?

The integral is calculated by first breaking down the 1-form into its component functions and then integrating each component over the specified domain. The result is a scalar value that represents the area under the curve.

Are there any limitations to this method of integration?

Yes, this method is limited to smooth 1-forms and domains that are easily calculable. It may not be applicable to more complex functions or domains with irregular boundaries.

How does this definition relate to other concepts in mathematics?

The integral of 1-forms without parametrization is closely related to other concepts in mathematics, such as vector calculus and differential geometry. It also has applications in physics and engineering, particularly in the study of fluid dynamics and electromagnetism.