Definite integral of functions of two variables

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a pile of Earth standing on flat ground near an abandoned mine. The height of the pile is given by x^2 + y^2 = 13 - z for 0 \leq z \leq 13 with x, y, and z in meters. The conversation also explores finding the equation and area of the base of the pile, as well as the cross-section of the pile at a given height. The final answer is that the area of the base and cross-section can be found using the formula for the area of a circle with radius \sqrt{13}.
-EquinoX-

Homework Statement

A pile of Earth standing on flat ground near an abandoned mine has height 13 meters. The ground is the xy-plane; the origin is directly below the top of the pile and the z-axis is upward. The cross-section at height z is given by [tex]x^2 + y^2 = 13 - z[/tex] for [tex]0 \leq z \leq 13[/tex] with x, y, and z in meters.

(a) What equation gives the edge of the base of the pile?
(b) What is the area of the base of the pile?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know what it means by the edge of the base of the pile, I know that after we get to part a. then the area is just the integral right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The 'edge of the base of the pile' is the intersection of the pile with the x-y plane. I.e. z=0. The 'area' is the area enclosed by that curve. You can find the area by integrating, but it's a pretty simple curve. You may know a formula.

So the edge of the base pile is [tex]x^2 + y^2 = 13[/tex] and I just need to integrate this right.. do I integrate it over x and y? I never knew an integral rule with that formula.. I think.

If I do an integration with respect to x and y I have:

[tex] (x^3/3 - 13x) + (y^3/3-13y) [/tex]

Last edited:
It's the area between the two functions y=+/-sqrt(13-x^2). But don't you recognize the shape of the curve?

so I just integrate sqrt(13-x^2)

You integrate 2*sqrt(13-x^2) if you want to. But I can think of easier ways to find the area of a circle.

and how is that? and where did you get the 2 * in front of the sqrt(...)

Because you have to integrate between y=-sqrt(13-x^2) and y=+sqrt(13-x^2). You don't know how to find the area of a circle?

Yes it is [tex] \pi r^2 [/tex] and the radius is [tex] \sqrt(13) [/tex] right? How come when you do the integral way you don't get a pi anywhere??

-EquinoX- said:
Yes it is [tex] \pi r^2 [/tex] and the radius is [tex] \sqrt(13) [/tex] right? How come when you do the integral way you don't get a pi anywhere??

You do get a pi. You have to do a trig subsitution to do the integral.

so the area is just [tex] 13 \pi [/tex]

And so if there's another question:

What equation gives the cross-section of the pile with the plane z = 10?
The answer is x^2+y^2 = 3 and what is the area of this?

Do it the same way as x^2+y^2=13.

and I can just use the area of a circle with radius sqrt(3) as well here to make life easier?

Why would you think not?

Just clarifying, and what is A(z), the area of a horizontal cross-section at height z?

is it just z = - x^2 - y^2 - 13

-EquinoX- said:
Just clarifying, and what is A(z), the area of a horizontal cross-section at height z?

is it just z = - x^2 - y^2 - 13
1. This is not a function of z so it can't be the area function you want.

2. Since the formula for the cone is [itex]x^2+ y^2= 13- z[/itex], you want the equation
of the circular boundary at height z, not a equation for z. In fact, [itex]x^2+ y^3=13-z[/itex] is precisely what you want!

why is it z-13-z? where did you get the extra -z from? z-13-z is just 13 right?

That was a typo. I have edited it.

if I take the integral of this area then the units would be meters^3? as it would be the volume

I tried A(z) = 13 - z and it didn't give me a green light, so it's wrong

-EquinoX- said:

What happened to the pi?

oops forgot the pi, thanks for pointing that out

-EquinoX- said:
No one has said the area was 13- z. I said that the equation of the boundary would be [itex]x^2+ y^2= 13- z[/itex]. What figure is that? What is its area?

What is a definite integral of functions of two variables?

The definite integral of functions of two variables is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a surface defined by a function of two variables within a specified region.

How is the definite integral of functions of two variables calculated?

The definite integral of functions of two variables is typically calculated using a double integral, which involves integrating the function with respect to both variables over the specified region.

What is the difference between a definite integral and an indefinite integral of functions of two variables?

A definite integral of functions of two variables has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. This means that the result of a definite integral will be a numerical value, while an indefinite integral will be an expression involving variables.

What are some real-world applications of definite integrals of functions of two variables?

Definite integrals of functions of two variables have many applications in physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to calculate the volume of a solid object, the mass of a 3-dimensional object with variable density, and the average value of a function over a specific area.

What is the relationship between double integrals and the definite integral of functions of two variables?

Double integrals are essentially the same as the definite integral of functions of two variables. The only difference is that double integrals are used to integrate over a two-dimensional region, while the definite integral of functions of two variables is used to integrate over a three-dimensional region.