1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definite integral of gaussian

1. Mar 22, 2013 #1
    Is there a closed form expression for the following definite integral?

[itex]\int_{-∞}^{∞} exp(\frac{-|z|^2}{2{\sigma}^2}-\alpha |\mu + z|)dz[/itex]

where [itex]z[/itex] is complex, and [itex]\alpha, \sigma, \mu[/itex] are real constants.

I couldn't obtain an expression similar to Gaussian integral, so I couldn't take the integral. So, how can we obtain a closed form expression for such an integral?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If z is complex, what is the meaning of the limits of integration- what path are you taking from [itex]-\infty[/itex] to [itex]\infty[/itex]?

4. Mar 22, 2013 #3
    Thank you for your reply, and I'm sorry for the incorrect statement of my question. Let me try to explain as follows:

Let z = x + jy. Then, the limit of x is from -∞ to ∞, and the limit of y is also from -∞ to ∞. In this case, I'm not sure about the limit of z. However, we can now restate the integral as follows:

[itex]\int_{-∞}^{∞}\int_{-∞}^{∞} exp(\frac{-(x^2+y^2)}{2{\sigma}^2}-\alpha ((x+\mu)^2 + y^2)^{1/2})dxdy[/itex]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  5. Mar 22, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is something very wrong here. Integrals with respect to a complex z are defined, but they are 1-dimensional, like "line integrals" in the 2-dimensional plane. Your first message suggested that is what you want, but your later message implies that is NOT the case, but that, instead, you want a double integral over the plane. Which is it? What do you *really* want?

6. Mar 22, 2013 #5
    Actually, the second integral is what I want to ask.

However, if I'm not wrong, the second integral can be expressed as a contour integral in the complex plane, which I have tried to write in my first post. If I'm wrong please correct ( or what should be the path of z? )

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  7. Mar 23, 2013 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think you can do the integral exactly, but you can reduce it to a one-dimensional integration involving a Bessel function, and that can be done numerically. In your function, change variables to
    [tex] x = - \mu + r \cos(\theta), \: y = r \sin(\theta). [/tex]
    Your integrand f(x,y) becomes
    [tex]f = \exp \left(-\frac{r^2 + \mu^2 + 2 \alpha \sigma^2 r}{2 \sigma^2} \right)
    e^{b \cos(\theta)}, \;\; b = \mu r \sigma^2. [/tex]
    The integral you want is
    [tex] \int_0^{\infty} \int_0^{2 \pi} r f \, dr \, d\theta.[/tex]
    We can do the ##\theta## integration first, to get
    [tex] \text{Answer} =
    \int_0^{\infty} r \exp \left(-\frac{r^2 + \mu^2 + 2 \alpha \sigma^2 r}{2 \sigma^2} \right)
    \text{BessellI}(0,\mu r/\sigma^2),[/tex]
    where ##\text{BesselI}(0,v)## is a modified Bessel function of the first kind. This Bessel function is a solution of the Bessel differential equation
    [tex] x^2 y'' + xy' +x^2 y = 0, [/tex] and with intitial terms of its series given by
    [tex] y = 1 + \frac{1}{4} x^2 + \frac{1}{64} x^4 + \cdots .[/tex] (Knowing a few terms of this series helps to relate this definition of BesselI(0,v) to possible other definitions you may know or encounter.)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  8. Mar 25, 2013 #7
    Ray, thank you very much for your detailed answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted