1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definite integral problem

Tags:
  1. Mar 24, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    integrate from 1 to 2 x(x^2-3)^(1/2) with respect to x.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    i attempted using numerical approximations but at x=1, the function is not defined so is there a way to combine improper integrals with this?

Aceix.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2015 #2
    I read your problem as $$\int_{1}^{2} x\sqrt{x^{2} - 3}\,dx$$ & used the substitution ##u = x^{2} - 3## then ##\frac{1}{2}du = x\,dx## so it's no improper integral. I'm not sure why you say the function is not defined at x=1.

4. Mar 24, 2015 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not defined because at x=1 because 1-3 is negative and square root of a negative is not defined. You would have to properly define the square root as a complex number to be able to integrate.

5. Mar 24, 2015 #4
    So how do I define the square root as a complex number?

6. Mar 24, 2015 #5
    argh sorry about that but I did notice that when I tried ##\int^{2}_{1} \frac{x\,dx}{\sqrt{x^2 - 3}}## just in case I misread the original post

7. Mar 24, 2015 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If ##x^2-3## is negative then the complex square roots are either ##i \sqrt{3-x^2}## or ##-i \sqrt{3-x^2}##. You have to pick which one you want. This is called 'choosing a branch'. Why are you doing this problem?

8. Mar 24, 2015 #7
    Saw it in a book(preparing for an exam).

9. Mar 24, 2015 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The problem has two possible answers since you need to make a branch choice. If you aren't really doing complex numbers, then possibly i) they just expect you to say it's not defined or ii) it's a typo.

10. Mar 24, 2015 #9
    thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted