1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definite Integral Proof

1. Dec 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I've been solving a problem, the solution is complete, however, I must prove that the following relation is true:

[tex] \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} sin^m 2x dx = \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} cos^m x dx[/tex]
    for any m.
    2. Relevant equations

-

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, I've trying to find some kind of solution by using substitution, however, when I computed both integrals in indefinite form on WolframAlpha, to see if I was following the right path, it showed me an answer that contained a "hypergeometric function", which I haven't learned yet.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Try a suitable subsitution. How can you make a sine into a cosine??

4. Dec 27, 2011 #3
    micromass:

Using the Pythagorean trigonometric identity.
    Well, this would become (if I take the positive root): [tex] sin^m 2x = (1-cos^2 2x)^{\frac{m}{2}} [/tex]

I'm trying 'u' = cos x this time.

5. Dec 27, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What is

[tex]\sin(\frac{\pi}{2}-x)[/tex]

??

6. Dec 27, 2011 #5
    micromass:

cos x

7. Dec 27, 2011 #6

Curious3141

Homework Helper

AndersCarlos, this is more of the same based on what we discussed yesterday.

Micromass has given you a very big hint. Try to convert [itex]\sin 2x[/itex] into [itex]\cos u[/itex]. What substitution would do that? (Note that your sub must also convert that double angle into a single angle). Hint: There's a [itex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex] somewhere in there.

After that, there's more of that "even function" manipulation we were talking about yesterday.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  8. Dec 27, 2011 #7
    micromass and Curious3141:

Well, I chose that: 2x = π/2 - u
    then, dx = -du/2
    [tex]\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} sin^m (2x)dx = - \int_{\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{-\pi}{2}} \frac{sin^m (\frac{\pi}{2} - u)}{2}du = \int_{\frac{-\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{cos^m (u)}{2} du = \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} cos^m (u) du = \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} cos^m (x) dx [/tex]

Well, I didn't see any π/4 during the process, but if there is anything wrong with this proof, sorry because I wrote it quite fast. Thank you both for your help.

Edit: I have forgotten to put the 'm' exponent through the process, just fixed it.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  9. Dec 27, 2011 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks good !

10. Dec 27, 2011 #9

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Well, the pi/4 is implicit in your proof. What's x in terms of u? :wink:

Anyway, good job.:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook