What is the Value of W in the Definite Integral Definition?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question on a test about finding the value of the letter W to the nearest hundredth. The original poster got the question wrong and believed the teacher's answer of 0.24 was incorrect. They argue about the use of a calculus calculator and the concept of definite integrals. The conversation ends with the clarification that a definite integral is not always equal to the area under a curve and it is important to refer to the definition.
b_roberts

Homework Statement

The letter W is defined as
33.gif
. The value of W, correct to the nearest hundredth, is?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, I had this question on a test and got it wrong. I get 0.93, which I think is correct. Apparently the answer is 0.24. I call BS on my teacher.

Physics news on Phys.org
b_roberts said:
Now, I had this question on a test and got it wrong. I get 0.93, which I think is correct. Apparently the answer is 0.24. I call BS on my teacher.

Well, you're incorrect, as any calculus capable calculator will confirm. So, instead of directing profanities towards your teacher, perhaps you should post your calculations so we can point out where your error(s) are.

How am I wrong? The function is negative from pi/2 to 2 and the area below the x-axis has to be calculated separately as an absolute value and added to the area above the x-axis. Of course an integral calculator will get the question wrong, they can't handle area below the x-axis.

b_roberts said:
How am I wrong? The function is negative from pi/2 to 2 and the area below the x-axis has to be calculated separately as an absolute value and added to the area above the x-axis. Of course an integral calculator will get the question wrong, they can't handle area below the x-axis.

Who said anything about the area under a curve? It says compute a definite integral, not "Find the area under the curve."

The definite integral is the area under the curve...

^
That's a common misconception. The definite integral can get you the area under the curve, but that doesn't mean it is.

So what you're saying is that if it doesn't ask for me to compute the area for a definite integral, that I should just calculate it straight away and disregard if it is negative?

Yes.

Remember the fundamental theorem of Calculus:

For a sufficiently nice function,

[tex]
\int_a^b f(x) dx = F(b) - F(a)
[/tex]

Where a and b are the bounds and F is the anti-derivative.

It doesn't care about negative or positive. All it cares about is the value of F at b and a.

Alright. That makes sense. Thank you.

The definite integral is the signed, net area under the curve. That's quite easy to forget.

That's why

[tex] \int_0^{2\pi} \cos x \ dx[/tex]

evaluates to zero. There is the same amount of area above the x-axis as there is below it.

b_roberts said:
The definite integral is the area under the curve...

That's not the definition of a definite integral. When in doubt, you should always turn to the definitions.In this case, the definition involves a limit of a summation. Thinking of a definite integral as being an area under a curve is only strictly true when the curve is above the x-axis over the entire interval.

If you were asked to find the area between the curve [itex]f(x)=4\sin x\cos x[/itex] and the x-axis on the interval [itex]x\in [1,2][/itex], then your method would be correct. However, that wasn't what you were asked.

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve between two points on a graph. It involves calculating the area of infinitesimally thin rectangles that approximate the shape of the curve, and then taking the sum of all these areas to find the total area. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and has a lower and upper limit, which correspond to the starting and ending points on the graph.

2. How is a definite integral different from an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral does not have specific limits and represents a general antiderivative of a function. In contrast, a definite integral has specific limits and represents the area under a curve between those limits. In other words, a definite integral gives a numerical value, while an indefinite integral gives a function.

3. What is the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus states that the definite integral of a function can be evaluated by finding the antiderivative of the function and then evaluating it at the upper and lower limits. In other words, it provides a shortcut for calculating a definite integral without having to use the basic definition of the integral.

4. How do you solve a definite integral?

To solve a definite integral, you first need to find the antiderivative of the function. Then, plug in the upper and lower limits into the antiderivative and subtract the result at the lower limit from the result at the upper limit. This will give you the numerical value of the definite integral.

5. What are some real-world applications of definite integrals?

Definite integrals have many practical applications, such as calculating the distance traveled by an object given its velocity over time, finding the total area of a given region, and determining the volume of irregular shapes. They are also used in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields to model and solve real-world problems.