1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Definite integral

1. Sep 25, 2010 #1
    This is not really a homework.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to solve one definite integral

2. Relevant equations

[tex] \int_0^{2 \pi} \frac{\sin^2{t}}{\sqrt{a\cos{t} + b}} dt[/tex]

where [tex]a, b[/tex] are some positive numbers.

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried integrate by parts, also differentiate by parameter [tex]a[/tex]. Does not help because of the square root. In this case I got some diff.equation for the integral I want, but I need to solve even more nasty integrals:

either

[tex] \int_0^{2 \pi} \sqrt{a\cos{t} + b} \cos{t} dt[/tex]

or

[tex] \int_0^{2 \pi} \frac{1}{\sqrt{a\cos{t} + b}} dt[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2010 #2

cronxeh

Gold Member

You joking, right? Even by breaking this up into two separate integrals, the first one 1/sqrt(a*cos(t)+b), t=0..2pi and second one -cos^2(t)/sqrt(a*cos(t)+b), t=0..2pi.. This gives some complete elliptic integral of first one for first part, and series expansion for second part. At best you can get a complete series expansion of this with http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Expand+(1-cos^2(t))/sqrt(a*cos(t)+b)" and numerically evaluate it if you know a and b.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  4. Sep 25, 2010 #3
    Thank you for your reply. As I said this is not a homework problem. In fact if somebody could help me represent this intergral via some generalized functions this would do. Sorry for the misconception.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  5. Sep 25, 2010 #4

cronxeh

Gold Member

I can't see how this could be done. a and b make this impossible

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook