Solving Definite Integral: x/sqrt(3x^2 + 4)

In summary, The conversation is about finding the integral of x over the square root of 3x^2 + 4 using u-substitution. The approach is to let u = 3x^2 + 4 and substitute it into the integral, adjusting the limits appropriately and changing dx to du. The final answer is 1/6 times the integral of 1 over the square root of u.
cogs24
hi guys
yeh, I am still going through revision, and I am also stuck on this question.

*integral sign*(upper limit 4, lower limit 2) x/sqrt(3x^2 + 4).dx

When i look at this, i think of letting u = 3x^2 + 4, then bringing that sqrt to the top,solving for dx, and then find the integral, and sub the values into find the definite answer
Could someone clarify this for me
Thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
a U substitution would take care of it, but you would still be left with [itex] u^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/tex], so you wouldn't be bringing the sqrt to the top unless you rationalized the denominator.

[tex] \int \frac{x}{\sqrt{3x^2+4}}\ dx = \frac{1}{6} \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{u}} \ du \ where \ u = 3x^2+4 [/tex]

Dont forget to adjust your integration limits.

Your approach is basically right. You want

[tex]\int^4_2\frac{ x}{\sqrt{3x^2 + 4}} dx[/tex]

Put

[tex]u= 3x^2 + 4[/tex]

and sub it in. Don't forget about changing the dx to a du in the integral.

1. What is the formula for solving a definite integral?

The formula for solving a definite integral is:
ab f(x) dx = F(b) - F(a)
where a and b are the lower and upper limits of integration, f(x) is the integrand, and F(x) is the antiderivative of f(x).

2. How do I solve a definite integral using substitution?

To solve a definite integral using substitution, follow these steps:
1. Identify a part of the integrand that can be substituted with a new variable u.
2. Determine the differential du by taking the derivative of u with respect to x.
3. Rewrite the original integral in terms of u and du.
4. Solve the new integral by finding the antiderivative of f(u) with respect to u.
5. Substitute back in the original variable x and evaluate the integral using the given limits.

3. Can I use trigonometric substitution to solve this definite integral?

Yes, you can use trigonometric substitution to solve this definite integral.
Substituting u = √(3x^2 + 4) with x = √(4/3)sinθ will allow you to rewrite the integral in terms of trigonometric functions.
After finding the antiderivative, you can then substitute back in x and evaluate the integral using the given limits.

4. What is the relationship between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral is the numerical value of the area under a curve between two given limits.
An indefinite integral, on the other hand, is the general antiderivative of a function.
The definite integral can be found by evaluating the indefinite integral at the given limits.

5. How can I check if my solution to a definite integral is correct?

You can check if your solution to a definite integral is correct by taking the derivative of your answer and seeing if it matches the original integrand.
You can also use a graphing calculator to plot the original function and the antiderivative to visually confirm the solution.