What is the correct solution to \int_{0}^{-2} (9 f(x)- 2)dx?

In summary, the integral \int_{0}^{-2} (9 f(x)- 2)dx can be rewritten as -9 times the integral from -2 to 0 of f(x) plus the integral from -2 to 0 of 2. This can be simplified to -9 times the integral from -2 to 0 of f(x) plus 4. Using the fundamental theorem of calculus, we can solve for this and get a final answer of -68. However, the electronic homework may mark this as incorrect due to integration properties not being taken into account.
Wm_Davies

Homework Statement

Let
[tex]\int_{-4}^{2} f(x) dx =9, \int_{-4}^{-2} f(x) dx=2, \int_{0}^{2} f(x)dx =3[/tex]

Find (I have solved this one)
[tex]\int_{-2}^{0} f(x)dx= 4[/tex]

Find
[tex]\int_{0}^{-2} (9 f(x)- 2)dx= ?[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\int_{a}^{b} f(x) dx = F(b) - F(a)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't see where I am doing something wrong.

[tex]\int_{0}^{-2} (9 f(x)- 2)dx[/tex]

[tex]-\int_{-2}^{0} (9 f(x)- 2)dx[/tex]

Using the fundamental theorem of calculus.
b=0
a=-2

-[(9b(4) - 2b) - (9a(4) - 2a)]
-[(0(4) - 0) - (9(-2)(4) - 2(-2))]

Solving for that I get

-[-(-72+4)]
-[-(-68)]

Therfore I figure that

[tex]\int_{0}^{-2} (9 f(x)- 2)dx= -68[/tex]

However the electronic homework says it is incorrect, but why?

Physics news on Phys.org
may be easier to see if you write it out as
[tex]\int_{0}^{-2} (9 f(x)- 2)dx[/tex]

[tex]=-\int_{-2}^{0} (9 f(x)- 2)dx[/tex]

[tex]=-9\int_{-2}^{0} f(x)dx+\int_{-2}^{0} 2dx[/tex]

lanedance said:
may be easier to see if you write it out as

Ahah, integration properties! Thank you.

1. What is a definite integral in Calculus I?

A definite integral in Calculus I is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve on a specific interval. It is represented by the notation ∫abf(x) dx, where a and b are the lower and upper limits of integration, and f(x) is the function being integrated.

2. How is a definite integral calculated?

A definite integral is calculated using the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the integral of a function can be found by evaluating its antiderivative at the upper and lower limits of integration and subtracting the results. This can also be done using numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule.

3. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration and will result in a numerical value, representing the area under the curve on that interval. An indefinite integral does not have limits of integration and will result in a function, representing the antiderivative of the original function.

4. How are definite integrals used in real-life applications?

Definite integrals have many real-life applications, such as calculating the volume of irregularly shaped objects, finding the distance traveled by an object with varying velocity, and determining the average value of a function over a given interval. They are also used in physics, engineering, economics, and many other fields.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving definite integrals?

Some common mistakes when solving definite integrals include forgetting to add the constant of integration when calculating the antiderivative, using the wrong limits of integration, and not properly simplifying the final answer. It is important to carefully check the steps and make sure all necessary rules and formulas are applied correctly.