Solved: Definite Integrals - Answers & Explanations

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods to solve definite integrals and the correct answer of 26/3 is determined by taking the anti-derivative. One method involves using the limit/Riemann Sum definition while another involves finding the summation of a X^2 series. The conversation also includes a step-by-step approach to solving the integral and a mistake that was made in the process. Finally, an alternative method is suggested, which involves taking the integral and then evaluating it.
lLovePhysics
[SOLVED] Definite Integrals

Homework Statement

[tex]\int_{1}^{3}x^{2}dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Why is the answer 26/3? I got 4 by using the limit/Riemann Sum definition. Is this one method to calculate definite integrals?

Physics news on Phys.org
by just taking the anti-derivative, i get 26/3. check your work again.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I don't think I can use any other methods because of my teacher.

I got 2n for the width of the rectangle and 1+(2i/n) for the height..

AHHHH: I found my error.. I forgot to square the 2i/n -_____-

Oh jesus christ... My answer never matches. Perhaps I should do everything step-by-step?

rocophysics said:
by just taking the anti-derivative, i get 26/3. check your work again.

Thanks a lot for bothering to post those other methods. I hope I will get to learn/use them later!

hey, show some work. But if u are stuck as where to start.. do these
find Delta X, find Xi. and then use this formula

lim [tex]\sum f(Xi)\Delta X[/tex]
n [tex] \rightarrow \infty [/tex]

ugh that's so bad... i have never had to use this.. but like..i'm sure u can find it on wikipedia
In addition, know what the summation of a X^2 series is.. it is n(n+1)(2n+1)6\

ah, i feel so bad.. i couldn't draw it successfully.

Last edited:
so basically it is
2/n[tex]\sum (1+2i/n)^2[/tex]

then use foil(or whatever u call it).

it becomes (1+4i/n +4i^2/n)

Last edited:
Yeah, thanks aq1q. That's what I did but I didn't square the x term for the height. I also messed up on simplifying. I just make too many mistakes :/

ah :\ so everything ok now?

Alternatively:

Take the integral:

[(1/3)(x)^3] over 3 and 1

Then evaluate:

[(1/3)(3)^3] - [(1/3)(1)^3] = 26/3

What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used in calculus to find the area under a curve or the signed area between two points on a graph. It is represented by the integral sign (∫) and has a lower and upper limit, denoted by a and b respectively.

How do you solve a definite integral?

To solve a definite integral, you first need to determine the integrand, which is the function being integrated. Then, use integration techniques such as u-substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution to find the antiderivative. Finally, evaluate the integral using the lower and upper limits.

What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration and gives a numerical value as a result. On the other hand, an indefinite integral has no limits and gives a general function as a result. In other words, a definite integral calculates the area under a curve, while an indefinite integral finds the function that, when differentiated, gives the original function.

What are some real-life applications of definite integrals?

Definite integrals have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to calculate the work done by a force, the volume of a three-dimensional shape, or the net change in a quantity over time, among others.

Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving definite integrals?

There are several techniques for solving definite integrals, such as using symmetry, substitution, or integration by parts. However, there is no one-size-fits-all shortcut or trick for solving all types of integrals. It takes practice and familiarity with different integration methods to become proficient in solving definite integrals.