1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definite Integrals

1. Mar 6, 2010 #1
    Hi all, just wondering if someone could explain to me about define integrals.
    Say i have F(x)=0.5x2-2 and F(x)=x3+x2-6x and i want to find the area of the regions which is satisfied from -2 to 2.

so [tex]\int[/tex]0.5x2-2 from -2 to 2. [tex]\int[/tex]x3+x2-6x from -2 to 2.

Now with the cubic, from -2 to 0 is supposedly positive and from 0 to 2 it's negative, is that true i thought the it doesn't matter which region the area is in it'll always be counted as positive.

so, [tex]\int[/tex]x3+x2-6x from -2 to 0. = [tex]\int[/tex](-2)3+(-2)2-6(-2) - [tex]\int[/tex](0)3+(0)2-6(0) = 8-0 = 8units2

[tex]\int[/tex]x3+x2-6x from 0 to 2. = [tex]\int[/tex](0)3+(0)2-6(0) - [tex]\int[/tex](2)3+(2)2-6(2) = 0- 0 = 0 units2

Therefore, Area from (-2 to 0)+ Area from (0 to 2) = 8+0 = 8units2

But using my calculator doing the same steps (except in the graphing section) doing -2 to 0 and adding it to 0 to 2's value i get 16units2( 10.667+5.333)

I don't know whats going on..

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2010 #2
    I only did the one area for the 2nd function, ignore the 1st function.

4. Mar 6, 2010 #3
    A definite integral is positive if the area is above the y-axis and negative if the area is below the y-axis. If you integrate over an interval that has both, the result will then not represent the complete physical area.

Looking at a graph of your cubic function: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=x^3%2Bx^2-6x

The area under the curve from -2 to 0 is larger than the area "above" the curve from 0 to 2. Since the positive area above (-2,0) is larger than the negative area below (0,2), the total area will be positive.

When I did these calculations, I got an area of 32/3 on (-2,0) and -16/3 on (0,2). So the definite integral on (-2,2) would be 32/3 - 16/3 = 16/3.

The total physical area would be 32/3 + 16/3 = 48/3 = 16. I had to use the absolute value of the areas to calculate the total physical area. I hope this clears things up!

5. Mar 6, 2010 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You haven't integrated anything, you have just evaluated the function itself at -2 and 0 and subtracted. The integral is
    [tex]\int_{-2}^0 x^3+ x^2- 6x dx= \left[\frac{1}{4}x^4+ \frac{1}{3}x^3- 3x^2\right]_{-2}^0[/tex]
    [tex]= 0- \left(\frac{1}{4}(16)+ \frac{1}{3}(-8)- 3(4)\right)= \frac{32}{3}[/tex]

That's because your calculator integrated and you didn't!

6. Mar 6, 2010 #5
    With both did you do F(b) - F(a) ? also, do you know anything about these type of intergrals.

[tex]\int[/tex]f(x)dx+|[tex]\int[/tex]f(x)dx|
    |[tex]\int[/tex]f(x)dx|+[tex]\int[/tex]f(x)dx
    |[tex]\int[/tex]f(x)dx+[tex]\int[/tex]f(x)dx|

I'm unsure what these | | parts do when theyre associated with the integral. thanks alot.

7. Mar 6, 2010 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[tex]\left|\int f(x)dx\right|[/tex]
    means "first take the integral of the function then take the absolute value of that number".

[tex]\int |f(x)|dx[/tex]
    means "first take the absolute value of the function, then integrate".

8. Mar 6, 2010 #7
    Wow, i'm so retarded I forgot to actually intergrate the function. how embarrassing..

9. Mar 6, 2010 #8
    Thanks alot HallsofIvy, I don't really understand. could you please do an example of both?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook