Solve Definite Integrals: F(x)=0.5x2-2 & F(x)=x3+x2-6x

In summary, In this conversation, the author is asking if it is true that the area of a region that is between -2 and 2 is always counted as positive, even if the region itself is in the negative area. Using integral calculus, it is determined that the area is 8+0=8units2.
Sirsh
Hi all, just wondering if someone could explain to me about define integrals.
Say i have F(x)=0.5x2-2 and F(x)=x3+x2-6x and i want to find the area of the regions which is satisfied from -2 to 2.

so [tex]\int[/tex]0.5x2-2 from -2 to 2. [tex]\int[/tex]x3+x2-6x from -2 to 2.

Now with the cubic, from -2 to 0 is supposedly positive and from 0 to 2 it's negative, is that true i thought the it doesn't matter which region the area is in it'll always be counted as positive.

so, [tex]\int[/tex]x3+x2-6x from -2 to 0. = [tex]\int[/tex](-2)3+(-2)2-6(-2) - [tex]\int[/tex](0)3+(0)2-6(0) = 8-0 = 8units2

[tex]\int[/tex]x3+x2-6x from 0 to 2. = [tex]\int[/tex](0)3+(0)2-6(0) - [tex]\int[/tex](2)3+(2)2-6(2) = 0- 0 = 0 units2

Therefore, Area from (-2 to 0)+ Area from (0 to 2) = 8+0 = 8units2

But using my calculator doing the same steps (except in the graphing section) doing -2 to 0 and adding it to 0 to 2's value i get 16units2( 10.667+5.333)

I don't know what's going on..

Physics news on Phys.org
I only did the one area for the 2nd function, ignore the 1st function.

A definite integral is positive if the area is above the y-axis and negative if the area is below the y-axis. If you integrate over an interval that has both, the result will then not represent the complete physical area.

Looking at a graph of your cubic function: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=x^3%2Bx^2-6x

The area under the curve from -2 to 0 is larger than the area "above" the curve from 0 to 2. Since the positive area above (-2,0) is larger than the negative area below (0,2), the total area will be positive.

When I did these calculations, I got an area of 32/3 on (-2,0) and -16/3 on (0,2). So the definite integral on (-2,2) would be 32/3 - 16/3 = 16/3.

The total physical area would be 32/3 + 16/3 = 48/3 = 16. I had to use the absolute value of the areas to calculate the total physical area. I hope this clears things up!

Sirsh said:
Hi all, just wondering if someone could explain to me about define integrals.
Say i have F(x)=0.5x2-2 and F(x)=x3+x2-6x and i want to find the area of the regions which is satisfied from -2 to 2.

so [tex]\int[/tex]0.5x2-2 from -2 to 2. [tex]\int[/tex]x3+x2-6x from -2 to 2.

Now with the cubic, from -2 to 0 is supposedly positive and from 0 to 2 it's negative, is that true i thought the it doesn't matter which region the area is in it'll always be counted as positive.

so, [tex]\int[/tex]x3+x2-6x from -2 to 0. = [tex]\int[/tex](-2)3+(-2)2-6(-2) - [tex]\int[/tex](0)3+(0)2-6(0) = 8-0 = 8units2
You haven't integrated anything, you have just evaluated the function itself at -2 and 0 and subtracted. The integral is
[tex]\int_{-2}^0 x^3+ x^2- 6x dx= \left[\frac{1}{4}x^4+ \frac{1}{3}x^3- 3x^2\right]_{-2}^0[/tex]
[tex]= 0- \left(\frac{1}{4}(16)+ \frac{1}{3}(-8)- 3(4)\right)= \frac{32}{3}[/tex]

[tex]\int[/tex]x3+x2-6x from 0 to 2. = [tex]\int[/tex](0)3+(0)2-6(0) - [tex]\int[/tex](2)3+(2)2-6(2) = 0- 0 = 0 units2

Therefore, Area from (-2 to 0)+ Area from (0 to 2) = 8+0 = 8units2

But using my calculator doing the same steps (except in the graphing section) doing -2 to 0 and adding it to 0 to 2's value i get 16units2( 10.667+5.333)

I don't know what's going on..
That's because your calculator integrated and you didn't!

With both did you do F(b) - F(a) ? also, do you know anything about these type of intergrals.

[tex]\int[/tex]f(x)dx+|[tex]\int[/tex]f(x)dx|
|[tex]\int[/tex]f(x)dx|+[tex]\int[/tex]f(x)dx
|[tex]\int[/tex]f(x)dx+[tex]\int[/tex]f(x)dx|

I'm unsure what these | | parts do when theyre associated with the integral. thanks alot.

Sirsh said:
With both did you do F(b) - F(a) ? also, do you know anything about these type of intergrals.

[tex]\int[/tex]f(x)dx+|[tex]\int[/tex]f(x)dx|
|[tex]\int[/tex]f(x)dx|+[tex]\int[/tex]f(x)dx
|[tex]\int[/tex]f(x)dx+[tex]\int[/tex]f(x)dx|

I'm unsure what these | | parts do when theyre associated with the integral. thanks alot.
[tex]\left|\int f(x)dx\right|[/tex]
means "first take the integral of the function then take the absolute value of that number".

[tex]\int |f(x)|dx[/tex]
means "first take the absolute value of the function, then integrate".

Wow, I'm so retarded I forgot to actually intergrate the function. how embarrassing..

HallsofIvy said:
[tex]\left|\int f(x)dx\right|[/tex]
means "first take the integral of the function then take the absolute value of that number".

[tex]\int |f(x)|dx[/tex]
means "first take the absolute value of the function, then integrate".

Thanks a lot HallsofIvy, I don't really understand. could you please do an example of both?

1. What is the process for solving definite integrals?

The process for solving definite integrals involves finding the antiderivative of the given function and then evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of integration. The result is the area under the curve between the given limits.

2. How do I find the antiderivative of a function?

To find the antiderivative of a function, you can use the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule, depending on the form of the function. You can also consult a table of common antiderivatives or use integration techniques such as integration by parts or substitution.

3. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, which results in a numerical value. An indefinite integral does not have limits and results in a general antiderivative function.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve definite integrals?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve definite integrals. Most scientific calculators have a built-in function for solving integrals, and there are also online integral calculators available.

5. How can I check my answer for a definite integral?

You can check your answer for a definite integral by taking the derivative of the antiderivative you found and evaluating it at the same limits of integration. The result should be the original function. You can also use a graphing calculator to plot the function and the area under the curve between the given limits to visually check your answer.