Definite Integrals: Solving an Easy Integral with Acceleration a=2 m/s^2

In summary: But I can't find the link to his equation anywhere. :( In summary, you need to maintain the functional dependence of v(t) into the second set of integrations in order to solve for r(t).
macarroni
I don't know how to solve this really easy integral.

suppose: [tex] a=2 m/s^2 [/tex]

[tex] a = dv / dt [/tex]

[tex] \int^b_a a \ dt = \int^b_a dv [/tex]

[tex] \int^b_a 2 \ dt = v_{b} - v_{a} [/tex]

[tex] 2t_{b} - 2t_{a} = v_{b} - v_{a} [/tex]

[tex] v_{b} = v_{a} + 2t_{b} - 2t_{a} [/tex]

I hope everything is ok up to this point. Then I want to know the position: r, and I need to use the same b and a that I have already use before, but...

[tex] v = dr / dt [/tex]

[tex] \int^b_a v \ dt = \int^b_a dr [/tex]

[tex] \int^b_a ( v_{a} + 2t_{b} - 2t_{a} ) \ dt = r_{b} - r_{a} [/tex]

[tex] v_{a}t_{b} - v_{a}t_{b} ... \ ? = r_{b} - r_{a} [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
In your first expression for a, is m the mass and s the displacement? Or is s just a constant?

It looks like you're trying to find the velocity and position of an object under accelaeration 2 m/sec^2 at a time tb in terms of its velocity at some earlier time ta. If so, you found vb correctly. But to get the position, you need to integrate the velocity as a function of time, not the velocity at tb. To get v(t), just replace tb with the variable t.

a = 2 m/s^2

First part is OK. But when you did the second part you need a general form of v to do the diferentiation. This is how I would do this:

[tex] d^2 r/dt^2 = a [/tex]

Integrating once, you have

[tex] dr/dt = a t + A[/tex] --------------------(1)

where A is a constant and we can find A using the boundary conditions. You have been given at time t = ta , v = va.

so, [tex] v_a = a t_a + A => A = v_a - a t_a [/tex]

so [tex] v(t) = at + ( v_a - a t_a) [/tex]

Integrate (1) wrt t

[tex] r = at^2/2 + At + B [/tex] -----------------(2)

where B is a constant and can be found as earlier using Boundary conditions. at t=ta, r = ra .

[tex] r_a = at_a^2/2 + At_a + B [/tex]

Solve for B and subtitute in (2) to get an expression for r(t)

Because velocity "v" is a function of time "t", which is indicated by writing it "v(t)", you need to maintain the functional dependence of v(t) into the second set of integrations. Your original work is rewritten below in a manner to do that. Also, equations become more managable if {ta=0}.

QUESTION: What is the distance "r(t)" traveled from time t=0 to time "t" (for constant acceleration "a")??

[tex] a \ = \ dv/dt [/tex]

[tex] \int^{t}_{0} a \ dt \ = \ \int^{v(t)}_{v(0)} \ dv [/tex]

[tex] at \ = \ v(t) - v(0) [/tex]

[tex] \color{blue} v(t) \ = \ v(0) + at [/tex]

[tex] v \ = \ dr/dt [/tex]

[tex] \int^{t}_{0} v(t) \ dt \ = \ \int^{r(t)}_{r(0)} \ dr [/tex]

[tex] \int^{t}_{0} \color{blue}\left( v(0) + at \right)\color{black} \ dt \ = \ r(t) - r(0) [/tex]

[tex] v(0)t + (1/2)at^{2} \ = \ r(t) - r(0) [/tex]

[tex] \color{red} r(t) \ = \ r(0) + v(0)t + (1/2)at^{2} [/tex]

Now place {a=(2 m/sec^2)} and values for "r(0)" and "v(0)" into the equation for the final result.

~~

Last edited:
James R said:
In your first expression for a, is m the mass and s the displacement? Or is s just a constant?

:confused:. Those are units..

Those are units..

Ah! I completely misread. It's a = 2 metres per second squared. Silly me! I think I just assumed that since the rest of the post was in terms of variables, the acceleration was in terms of variables, too.

I'd do this similarly to how Gamma did it, above.

What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept that represents the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is used to find the area under a curve on a graph.

How do you solve a definite integral?

To solve a definite integral, you must first determine the function that represents the curve on the graph. Then, you can use the fundamental theorem of calculus or integration techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts, to evaluate the integral.

What does acceleration a=2 m/s^2 mean?

Acceleration a=2 m/s^2 is a measurement of how quickly the velocity of an object is changing. In this case, it means that the object's velocity is increasing by 2 meters per second every second.

How does acceleration affect the definite integral?

Acceleration affects the definite integral by changing the shape and position of the curve on the graph. This change in the curve's shape and position will also affect the value of the definite integral, as it represents the area under the curve.

Why is it important to solve an easy integral with acceleration a=2 m/s^2?

Solving an easy integral with acceleration a=2 m/s^2 allows us to understand and analyze the motion of an object. This information is important for many scientific and engineering applications, such as designing vehicles or predicting the movement of celestial bodies.