Integrating Polynomials: Practice Problems

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of two equations: 2. /int 1_0 (5u^7+pi^2) dx and 3. /int 4_0 (x^(1/2))(x+1). The answer for 2. is (5/8)+pi^2 and for 3. is 272/15. The conversation also addresses the issue of integrating a constant, pi^2, and the importance of considering the variable of integration, x. The method used to integrate 3. is questioned and eventually corrected.
cd246

Homework Statement

2. /int 1_0 (5u^7+pi^2) dx the answer is (5/8)+pi^2
3./int 4_0 (x^(1/2))(x+1) the answer is 272/15.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For 2. I already have the 5/8, my question do I integrate the pi^2? I tried integrating that with no success.

For 3. (x^(3/2)/3/2)((x^2/2)+x)
then (2x^(3/2)/3)((1/2)x^2+x)
plug 4: (16/3)(8+4=12)=192/3=64

Physics news on Phys.org
for 2: yes you integrate .Pi/2 is a constant.How do you integrate a constant.
for 3: your method is not acceptable.

If you take derivative of (2x^(3/2)/3)((1/2)x^2+x) you don't obtain
(x^(1/2))(x+1) But you should have done so.

So Try to expand (x^(1/2))(x+1) ( get rid of the paranthesis ) Then apply the rule you know about this type of integration.

note:
you can't integrate two parts seperately. Remember for example how do you take derivative of product of functions. it is NOT just the product of derivatives of functions themselves.

How did you try?

/int 1_0 (5u^7+pi^2)dx ; where is the x? The variable of integration should be x..
Anyway, I assume that was a type-error.

pi^2 is just a constant...

for ./int 4_0 (x^(1/2))(x+1)

I assume you mean:

/int 4_0 (x^(1/2))(x+1)dx

Have you tried to multiply (x^(1/2)) into (x+1) ?

I found what i did wrong now. thanx

What is definite integration 2?

Definite integration 2 is a method used in calculus to find the exact area under a curve between two specific points. It is also known as Riemann integration.

What is definite integration 3?

Definite integration 3 is an extension of definite integration 2, where the interval of integration is divided into smaller subintervals to get a more accurate approximation of the area under a curve. This method is also known as the Trapezoidal Rule or Simpson's Rule.

What is the difference between definite integration 2 and 3?

The main difference between these two methods is that definite integration 3 uses smaller subintervals to calculate the area under a curve, resulting in a more accurate approximation compared to definite integration 2. This makes it a more advanced and precise method for finding the area under a curve.

What are some real-life applications of definite integration 2 and 3?

Definite integration 2 and 3 have various real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, calculating the work done by a variable force, finding the center of mass of a three-dimensional object, and estimating the revenue of a company are all problems that can be solved using definite integration 2 and 3.

How can I improve my skills in definite integration 2 and 3?

To improve your skills in definite integration 2 and 3, it is important to have a strong understanding of the fundamental concepts of calculus. Practice solving problems and familiarize yourself with different techniques and formulas used in these methods. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to further enhance your understanding.