1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definite integration problem

1. Nov 29, 2005 #1
    This is a question that is bugging me because trying to solve it the spirit of the topic I am on (backed up by one example under simple circumstances and a frustratingly complicated explaination) is proving really difficult. Trying to tackle it on my own terms yields me a wrong answer :frown:

A curve is given parametrically: x= t^3, y= t^2
    a tangent to the curve is drawn at the point where t=2
    find a) the equation of the tangent
    b) the area bounded between the curve, tangent and y-axis

(a) isn't a problem..the answer is 3y = x+4
    (b) is a problem though. My first inclination is to express y in terms of x, if x = t^3 then x^(2/3) = t^2 and so y=x^(2/3) or 3y =3(x^(2/3))
    now I have two equations with the same variables that I should be able to integrate without a problem subtracting 3(x^(2/3)) from x+4 I get:
    x+4 - 3(x^(2/3))...
    integrating this w.r.t.x I get [1/2(x^2) +4x - 9/5(x^(5/3))]
    as x = t^3, if t = 2 then x = 8 and so my limits should be 0 and 8
    plugging x=8 into the above however yields an answer of 6.4, the books answer is 2.13 (and by plotting the damned thing and measuring trapeziums I find that the book answer is correct)

solving it in terms of t though is mega uncomfortable...the book example isn't very helpful and I just don't know what I'm doing.
    am I right that the tangent can be expressed as 3t^2=t^3 +4?
    Even if this is true how do I work with the curve?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Sure. Since the tangent line is always above the curve, the area is
    [tex]\int_0^8 (y_1- y_2)dx[/tex]
    where y1 is the line 3y= x+4 and y2 is the parametric curve y= t2. Since x is measured by x= t3, 3y= x+ 4 becomes 3y= t2+ 4 and dx= 3t2dt. Of course, as x goes from 0 to 8, t goes from 0 to 2. The area is:
    [tex]\int_0^2(\frac{1}{3}t^3+ \frac{4}{3}- t^2)(3t^2)dt= \int_0^2(\t^5+ 4t^2- 3t^4)dt[/tex]
    That is
    [tex] \frac{1}{6}t^6+ \frac{4}{3}t^3- \frac{3}{5}t^5[/tex]
    evaluated between 0 and 2:
    [tex]\frac{64}{6}+ \frac{32}{3}- \frac{96}{5}[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{32}{3}+ \frac{32}{3}- \frac{96}{5}[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{64}{3}- \frac{96}{5}[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{320- 288}{15}= \frac{32}{15}= 2 \frac{2}{15}[/tex]

4. Nov 29, 2005 #3
    lol...just my luck!...Thanks for replying HallsofIvy! but this computer won't display the laTeX graphics...and I get booted off in 5 mins, gonna need to travel a bit before I can find another computer and read the full reply. :frown:

5. Nov 29, 2005 #4
    HallsofIvy...Thankyou very much for working through it :smile: (though I had to hit the quote button so that I could read the TeX :biggrin: )
    I realise also, the reason why my first attempt was wrong...I should not have worked in terms of 3y instead should have worked in terms of just y...one of those things I just couldn't see at the time.
    Thanks again!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?