How do I solve the definite integral of 1/(sqrt(3+x)) with bounds 5 and 7?

• Thread starter Moonflower
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses the steps to solve the definite integral of 1/(sqrt(3+x)) with lower bound 5 and upper bound 7. It involves making a substitution, finding the antiderivative, and applying the fundamental theorem of calculus. The final step depends on whether the function is kept in u or switched back to x+3.
Moonflower
Can you show me step by step to solve the definite integral of 1/(sqrt(3+x)), lower bound 5 and upper bound 7?
I'm not that good at calculus, so please explain each step.
Thanks.
God bless y'all

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int_5^7 \frac{dx}{\sqrt{x+ 3}}= \int_5^7(x+3)^{-\frac{1}{2}} dx[/tex]

Now you can make the subsitution u= x+ 3 so that du= dx and when x= 5, u= 8, when x= 6, u= 10:
[tex]\int_8^{10} u^{-\frac{1}{2}} du[/tex]

Use [tex]\int u^n du= \frac{1}{n+1}u^{n+1}+ C[/tex].

HallsofIvy: thanks for your help, but what you gave, i think, is indefinite integral, rather than a definite integral. from what i know, because definite integral is a limit, it has to end in a certain number, without a variable. thanks again for your help though

To solve for the definite integral, just apply the fundamental theorem of calculus. The hardest part, which HallsofIvy almost completed, was to find the antiderivative.

oh, i see it...sorry for being an idiot :P
thx, both of you guys.

When I apply the Fundamental theorem of calculus in the last step, for LaTeX Code: \\int_8^{10} u^{-\\frac{1}{2}} du , do I use 8 and 10 as my a and b or do I use 5 and 7?

Moonflower said:
When I apply the Fundamental theorem of calculus in the last step, for LaTeX Code: \\int_8^{10} u^{-\\frac{1}{2}} du , do I use 8 and 10 as my a and b or do I use 5 and 7?

Use 8 and 10

Well, if you keep the function in u after integrating, you can just evaluate the bounds for u, and you would use 8 and 10. If you switch u to x+3 after integration, you would evaluate the bounds for x, and you would use 5 and 7.

1. What is definite integration and how is it different from indefinite integration?

Definite integration is a mathematical technique used to find the exact value of the area under a curve within a specific interval. It differs from indefinite integration in that it involves using specific limits of integration, whereas indefinite integration does not.

2. How is definite integration used in real-world applications?

Definite integration has numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It can be used to calculate displacement, velocity, and acceleration in kinematics, to find the work done in a physical system, to determine the area under a probability distribution curve, and much more.

3. What is the fundamental theorem of calculus and how does it relate to definite integration?

The fundamental theorem of calculus states that definite integration and indefinite integration are inverse operations of each other. In other words, if we take the derivative of a function and then integrate it, we will get back the original function. This is why definite integration is also known as evaluating the antiderivative.

4. What are the different methods for solving definite integration problems?

There are several methods for solving definite integration problems, including the fundamental theorem of calculus, substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the function being integrated and the limits of integration.

5. How can I check if my definite integration solution is correct?

One way to check the solution is to use a graphing calculator or software to visually confirm that the area under the curve matches the calculated value. Another method is to take the derivative of the solution and see if it produces the original function. Additionally, you can use numerical methods, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule, to estimate the value and compare it to the exact solution.