1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definite integration problem

1. Apr 10, 2010 #1
    Can you show me step by step to solve the definite integral of 1/(sqrt(3+x)), lower bound 5 and upper bound 7?
    I'm not that good at calculus, so please explain each step.
    Thanks.
    God bless y'all

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[tex]\int_5^7 \frac{dx}{\sqrt{x+ 3}}= \int_5^7(x+3)^{-\frac{1}{2}} dx[/tex]

Now you can make the subsitution u= x+ 3 so that du= dx and when x= 5, u= 8, when x= 6, u= 10:
    [tex]\int_8^{10} u^{-\frac{1}{2}} du[/tex]

Use [tex]\int u^n du= \frac{1}{n+1}u^{n+1}+ C[/tex].

4. Apr 11, 2010 #3
    HallsofIvy: thx for your help, but what you gave, i think, is indefinite integral, rather than a definite integral. from what i know, because definite integral is a limit, it has to end in a certain number, without a variable. thx again for your help though

5. Apr 11, 2010 #4
    To solve for the definite integral, just apply the fundamental theorem of calculus. The hardest part, which HallsofIvy almost completed, was to find the antiderivative.

6. Apr 11, 2010 #5
    oh, i see it...sorry for being an idiot :P
    thx, both of you guys.

7. Apr 12, 2010 #6
    When I apply the Fundamental theorem of calculus in the last step, for LaTeX Code: \\int_8^{10} u^{-\\frac{1}{2}} du , do I use 8 and 10 as my a and b or do I use 5 and 7?

8. Apr 12, 2010 #7
    Use 8 and 10

9. Apr 12, 2010 #8

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Well, if you keep the function in u after integrating, you can just evaluate the bounds for u, and you would use 8 and 10. If you switch u to x+3 after integration, you would evaluate the bounds for x, and you would use 5 and 7.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook