Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definite integration

1. Jan 6, 2012 #1
    Hi, me again,

I'm struggling with definite integration, I have an example here in a book, but it has skipped the integration steps.

Can some one explain to me how

(5∏/2) ∫y8 dy = 0.873.

I don't know how to show the numbers at the top and bottom of the integration sign these numbers are 1 at the top and 0 at the bottom.

I tried this:

(5∏/2) [y8] with 1 at top 0 at bottom

(5∏/2) [1] = 7.854.

What am I missing please?

Regards

Rob K

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2012 #2
    [tex]\int^1_0y^8dy[/tex]
    Isn't quite [itex] y^9|^1_0[/itex]

4. Jan 6, 2012 #3
    hmm, I'm a little lost, I thought 1 to the power of anything will be 1 and so I get the same answer???

5. Jan 6, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Like this:
    [tex]\frac{5\pi}{2}\int_0^1 y^8~dy[/tex]
    If you right-click on this expression, there's an option to show the LaTeX code, so you can see how I did it.
    You're missing an important step - finding the antiderivative of y8.
    That's wrong, too. The antiderivative of y8 is [itex]\frac{y^9}{9}[/itex]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  6. Jan 6, 2012 #5
    Do you know how to perform the integration?

7. Jan 6, 2012 #6
    Yes yes yes, thank you, I understand now. I keep forgetting that with integration you increase the power by 1 and then divide by the new power.

Unfortunately my integration is not good which is strange, as I find and have always found Differentiation an absolute doddle. I need to find the intuition behind maths before I understand it, I can't parrot fashion to get by. Which is a problem when you are doing an Engineering degree...

Thanks for you help.

Rob

8. Jan 6, 2012 #7
    I know, that's why I said it wasn't quite y9

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook