1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definite integration

1. Jan 6, 2012 #1
    Hi, me again,

I'm struggling with definite integration, I have an example here in a book, but it has skipped the integration steps.

Can some one explain to me how

(5∏/2) ∫y8 dy = 0.873.

I don't know how to show the numbers at the top and bottom of the integration sign these numbers are 1 at the top and 0 at the bottom.

I tried this:

(5∏/2) [y8] with 1 at top 0 at bottom

(5∏/2) [1] = 7.854.

What am I missing please?

Regards

Rob K

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2012 #2
    [tex]\int^1_0y^8dy[/tex]
    Isn't quite [itex] y^9|^1_0[/itex]

4. Jan 6, 2012 #3
    hmm, I'm a little lost, I thought 1 to the power of anything will be 1 and so I get the same answer???

5. Jan 6, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Like this:
    [tex]\frac{5\pi}{2}\int_0^1 y^8~dy[/tex]
    If you right-click on this expression, there's an option to show the LaTeX code, so you can see how I did it.
    You're missing an important step - finding the antiderivative of y8.
    That's wrong, too. The antiderivative of y8 is [itex]\frac{y^9}{9}[/itex]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  6. Jan 6, 2012 #5
    Do you know how to perform the integration?

7. Jan 6, 2012 #6
    Yes yes yes, thank you, I understand now. I keep forgetting that with integration you increase the power by 1 and then divide by the new power.

Unfortunately my integration is not good which is strange, as I find and have always found Differentiation an absolute doddle. I need to find the intuition behind maths before I understand it, I can't parrot fashion to get by. Which is a problem when you are doing an Engineering degree...

Thanks for you help.

Rob

8. Jan 6, 2012 #7
    I know, that's why I said it wasn't quite y9

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook