What are the three tests for continuity?

In summary, continuity means that there must be a limit to the function at a given point, the function must be continuous at that point, and the limit must exist.
UrbanXrisis
what is the definition for discontinuity? I got a question on a math test wrong because it asked to "justify your answer" but I couldn't because I didn't know the definition for discontinuity.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you post your definition of CONTINUITY at a point?

There are a couple, but the one I like is:

A function f is continuous at a point a iff lim(x -> a) f(x) = f(a).

If not, then the function is discontinuous there.

I was trying to lead up to that..
In particular, later on, it is important to specify those different cases in which continuity might fail to exist..

I know, Arildno, and I did think about that before I posted. But since he's looking for the answer to a test question and not homework, I figured we might as well be specific. No offense intended. :)

No offense taken..:smile:

arildno said:
Can you post your definition of CONTINUITY at a point?

What is the definition of continuity?

the intuitive one is that when you draw a curve between two points, you should not have to raise your hand while doing so...

Keep in mind that there is left and right continuity but they are also easy to understand.

marlon

Definition for continuity should be right in your textbook (of course, textbooks have a way of turning common sense into a foreign language).

There's three tests for continuity, which might mean a little more (those should also be in your textbook).

To be continuous at some point (we'll call it c),

f(c) has to exist. For example, if f(x) = 1/x, and 0 (one possible value for c) is inserted for x, the equation would be undetermined (i.e. c=0, f(c) does not exist).

The limit of f(x) must exist as x approaches c.

f(c) must equal the limit of f(x) as x approaches c.

So, if f(x)=1/x, then it is continuous at f(c) if c=1. 1/1 equals 1, so f(c) exists. The limit of f(x) as x approaches 1 is 1. Since f(c) and the limit of f(x) as x approaches c both equal 1, f(x) is continuous at x=1.

If c=0, then f(c) doesn't exist, the limit of f(x) as x approaches 0 doesn't exist, rendering the third test moot (and impossible to conduct, in this case). Actually, as soon as any of the tests fail, you can stop.

1. What is the definition of discontinuity?

Discontinuity is a term used in science to describe a sudden change or interruption in a physical, chemical, or biological process or system. It is a break or gap in a process that can lead to unexpected outcomes or behaviors.

2. What are the different types of discontinuities?

There are three main types of discontinuities: physical, chemical, and biological. Physical discontinuities occur when there is a change in the physical properties of a substance, such as a change in temperature or pressure. Chemical discontinuities occur when there is a change in the chemical composition of a substance, such as a reaction or phase change. Biological discontinuities occur when there is a change in a living organism's behavior or functioning.

3. How do discontinuities affect scientific research?

Discontinuities can have a significant impact on scientific research as they can lead to unexpected or unexplainable results. Scientists must carefully consider and account for any potential discontinuities in their experiments to ensure accurate and reliable findings.

4. Can discontinuities be predicted or controlled?

In some cases, discontinuities can be predicted or controlled through proper experimental design and data analysis. However, some discontinuities may be difficult to anticipate or control, especially in complex systems, and may require further research to fully understand and manage.

5. How can discontinuities be addressed in scientific studies?

To address discontinuities in scientific studies, researchers can use statistical methods and control experiments to identify and mitigate any potential disruptions. Additionally, conducting thorough literature reviews and collaborating with other scientists can help identify and address any known discontinuities in a particular area of research.