Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition for life

1. Jan 30, 2004 #1
    I really don't know if this is the right forum to ask this but let me try..

Why everybody tends to think of life as something organic in composition ? For example, NASA sends the mars rovers in search of water which is essential for an organic life form.

If the simple definition for a life form is..
    1)Can Grow
    2)Will Respond to stimuli
    3)Can Reproduce

then we don't neccesarily have to equate life to a organism made of carbon and hydrogen. Why don't we think of a possibility of a life form that exist in some distant part of our galaxy that isn't made of organic material.

It could be even matterless being entirely a form of energy that shows the characteristics of life and doesn't have to be visible.

I know this idea is bizarre...but I tend to think why not?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Walk before you run. Search for life forms you recognize before searching for those you don't.

Play the odds. We know our kind of life is a possibility. We don't know if other kinds are.

But, otherwise, yes, I think everyone agrees that it's good to keep our minds open to other possibilities.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?