Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition for propsman

1. Mar 6, 2007 #1
    Dear PFers,

I have trouble finding a definition for propsman. Is it a short name for Property master ?
    Thank you in advance for your help :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2007 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Can you use it in context within a sentence? I've heard it as a term for the person that handles props for theater/movies.

4. Mar 6, 2007 #3
    It was actually in a technical note. As a propsman, what he did was "packing the props and costumes, clean up". I know it is a little vague :redface: But thank you very much still.

5. Mar 6, 2007 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The propsman is responsible for the props used in a movie. Props is short for theatrical property. (so, you're pretty close)

The props are anything used on a set to give the movie some realism (e.g. a gun for the character to shoot instead of having to point his finger and say 'Bang!' - except the sound editor is responsible for the 'Bang', not the propsman).

6. Mar 6, 2007 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

What does the gaffer do? And the best boy??
    That's the two occupations I've wondered about..

7. Mar 6, 2007 #6
    I believe the gaffer is the head electrical worker. That or lightman, not sure.

8. Mar 6, 2007 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

And the best boy? There is always a best boy in movies?
    According to this Wikipedia article, there are TWO best boys, one assistant to both the gaffer and to the key grip:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_boy

Hmm..key grip? KEY GRIP??

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  9. Mar 6, 2007 #8

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Where's marlon when we need him. He knows this stuff backwards, forwards, over, under, sideways, down . . . or at least he should. :biggrin:

I think the Wiki ref in the OP is correct.

10. Mar 6, 2007 #9

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A gaff is an iron hook with a handle; usually used for landing large fish, but sometimes used on the crew. A gaff is also the term for the spar rising aft from a mast to support the head of a quadrilateral fore-and-aft sail (the gaff sail).

It's obvious that the gaffer is the guy dressed like a pirate that gaffs out of line movie crewmembers, plus has the additional duty of procuring lunch for the movie crew.

I think the best boy has to carry any fish the gaffer lands.

Hmm, unless gaffer comes from gaffe. Spearing the starring actress with an iron hook would probably qualify as a serious gaffe.

11. Mar 6, 2007 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Take a key grip on yourself, BobG

12. Mar 6, 2007 #11
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?