1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of a clock in relativity theory

1. Aug 3, 2004 #1
    What is the definition of a clock in relativity theory?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2004 #2
    an object that measures the rate of time flow.

4. Aug 5, 2004 #3

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The quest for a good clock has developed slowly and empirically over time. A rather interesting show on the topic is "Longitude", in which the first naval chronometer was developed. The goal wa simple - to develop a clock that could be taken to sea, and still keep good enough time so that a person could determine their latitude by measuring the time at which the sun reached it's high point in the sky.

As a practical matter, we do have a definition for a "good clock" nowadays. But it's not a theoretical definition, it's one from a standards comission. I refer, of course to the SI second. And, to tie it in with my pervious comment, our "good clock" nowadays is also very small - it's an atom.

It is a good thing, in my opinion, that we define our clocks empirically (through standards comittee's) rather than through theory. Defining a clock theoretically is not productive, as science has to be based ultimately on observation.

5. Aug 5, 2004 #4
    A friend of mine is a GR expert. He wrote an article on the nature of time and what is meant by a "clock". Its a great article and a good read. See

http://www.wfu.edu/~brehme/time.htm

Pete

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?