How Do You Calculate the Derivative of 5/(x^2/5) Using the Definition Alone?

In summary, the person was trying to find the derivative of 5/(x^2/5) using ONLY the definition of a derivative( (f(x+h)-f(x))/h as h approaches 0), and not using any of the rules or proving the rules. They eventually figured out how to get rid of the h in the denominator by multiplying the entire quotient by 1.
daveed
okay... could someone show me how to find the derivative of 5/(x^2/5) using ONLY the definition of a derivative( (f(x+h)-f(x))/h as h approaches 0), and not using any of the rules or proving the rules

strictly algebraicly...(probably spelled that wrong)

Physics news on Phys.org
i get it to (5( (x)^2/5 - (x+h)^2/5) )/((x^2+xh)^2/5)
but can't get rid of the radicals... =/

daveed said:
okay... could someone show me how to find the derivative of 5/(x^2/5) using ONLY the definition of a derivative( (f(x+h)-f(x))/h as h approaches 0), and not using any of the rules or proving the rules

strictly algebraicly...(probably spelled that wrong)

After about an hour (I was about to just give up) of messing around I had an idea. I needed to know if I could factor [tex]x^5 - y^5[/tex] and it turns out that I can!

For your reference

[tex]x^5-y^5 = (x-y)(x^4 + x^3y + x^2y^2 +xy^3 + y^4)[/tex]

what you have is
[tex]
5\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac {x^\frac {2} {5} - (x+h)^\frac {2} {5}} {h(x^2 + 2hx)^\frac {2} {5}} [/tex]

Now the trick to getting rid of that h in the denominator is to figure out how you could go about adding the two parts of the numerator.

Start by noticing that the numerator is a difference of squares

[tex]
x^\frac {2} {5} - (x+h)^\frac {2} {5}
[/tex]

Which of course you can factor out to

[tex]
(x^\frac {1} {5} + (x+h)^\frac {1} {5})(x^\frac {1} {5} - (x+h)^\frac {1} {5})
[/tex]

Now all you have got to do is figure out how to get ride of that nasty little [tex]h[/tex] in the denominator. That is not so easy unless you multiply the entire quotient by 1. That is, multiply by

[tex]
\frac {x^\frac {4} {5} + x^\frac {3} {5}(x+h)^\frac {1} {5} + x^\frac {2} {5}(x+h)^\frac {2} {5} + x^\frac {1} {5}(x+h)^\frac {3} {5} + (x+h)^\frac{4} {5}} {x^\frac {4} {5} + x^\frac {3} {5}(x+h)^\frac {1} {5} + x^\frac {2} {5}(x+h)^\frac {2} {5} + x^\frac {1} {5}(x+h)^\frac {3} {5} + (x+h)^\frac{4} {5}}
[/tex]

Which, if you will recall from our earlier results, we can easily multiply the [tex] (x^\frac {1} {5} - (x+h)^\frac {1} {5})[/tex] with the [tex]x^\frac {4} {5} + x^\frac {3} {5}(x+h)^\frac {1} {5} + x^\frac {2} {5}(x+h)^\frac {2} {5} + x^\frac {1} {5}(x+h)^\frac {3} {5} + (x+h)^\frac{4} {5}[/tex] and that will get rid of the fifth root and thus will give us a nice and neat numerator from which you can factor out the h. If you have gotten this far the rest is cake.

Regards

Last edited:

What is the definition of a derivative?

The derivative is a mathematical term that represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is calculated as the slope of the tangent line to the graph of the function at that point.

What is the difference between derivative and differentiation?

The derivative is a single value that represents the slope at a specific point, while differentiation is the process of finding the derivative at all points on a function.

How is the derivative of a function represented?

The derivative of a function is typically represented as f'(x), dy/dx, or df/dx, where f is the function and x is the variable.

What is the geometric interpretation of a derivative?

The geometric interpretation of a derivative is the slope of the tangent line to the graph of a function at a specific point. It also represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function at that point.

What are some real-life applications of derivatives?

Some real-life applications of derivatives include optimization problems in economics, calculating velocity and acceleration in physics, and determining rates of change in biology and chemistry.