Define Individual Forces Acting on a Body

In summary: I. :smile:It is also possible to define mass in terms of I and v, which is what I meant by saying that F=ma is a definition of mass. But this is just a mathematical trick. The real definition of mass is that it is the measure of inertia, where inertia is the resistance to change of motion.In summary, force is defined as the change in momentum per unit time, or the product of mass and acceleration. This means that the force applied to a body can be measured by the change in its motion or the mass and acceleration of the body. In order to determine individual forces, one would need to trace them back to their source or
Viru.universe
0k i know net force on a body is defined as mass times acceleration of the body w.r.t inertial frame,
but how do we define individual forces acting on the body?
Eg. Forces acting on a 1kg block are F1=+6¡ And F2=-4¡
So we know net force=2¡, and net acceleration=2 m/s^2
but how do we actually apply something called "6 N" force in right direction, and "4 N" in left direction?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Viru.universe! :smile:
Viru.universe said:
but how do we actually apply something called "6 N" force in right direction, and "4 N" in left direction?

We follow the trail!

If a force is applied to the body at a particular point, just trace it back to its source, and then the amount of the force will be obvious.

Eg, if a mass on a table is being pulled by two horizontal strings going over pulleys and joined to weights, then the individual force on each string is equal to that weight (ie the mass, times g). :wink:

Viru.universe said:
0k i know net force on a body is defined as mass times acceleration of the body w.r.t inertial frame,
but how do we define individual forces acting on the body?
Thank you.
Are you seeking a definition of the individual forces or just wanting to know how a constant force can be applied?

It is easy to imagine such constant forces in a static system. But it is not so easy to explain HOW such constant forces would be applied in a dynamic system.

The 4N force could be friction, which is always opposite to the direction of motion and is fairly constant regardless of speed. But the 6N force would have to be from something like a spring whose extension is maintained as the body accelerates.

AM

Yeah i am seeking definition for individual forces, i got examples how to apply constant force to a system

There are two sides to the equation. Force is not really defined as mass times acceleration. F = ma is really a definition of mass. ma goes on the left side of the equation, while, on the right side of the equation, you have the net force. This is the sum of all the "contact forces" on the body. A contact force is caused by the mechanical interaction of bodies that are pressing against one another or pulling on one another. Another kind of force is "body force" such as gravity, which also goes on the right side of the equation. GMm/r2 is regarded as a contributor to the acceleration. But ma in not equal to GMm/r2, unless gravity is the only force acting on the body.

I didn't understand
"F=ma is really a definition of mass"

Viru.universe said:
Yeah i am seeking definition for individual forces, i got examples how to apply constant force to a system
The individual force, F, if applied to an inertial body of mass m on which no other forces were acting, would cause that body to accelerate at a rate of a = F/m. That is how the force would be measured.

We define the concept of force in general terms. F = ma is not necessarily a definition of force. Force is defined in Newton's first law as that which is required to effect a change in the motion of a body. That is the definition of force. F = ma is a formula for determining the magnitude of the force.

Newton observed that the same push or pull applied for equal amounts of time to bodies of different mass caused equal changes in motion in each body, provided one defined the quantity of motion as the body's mass x its velocity. So it seems reasonable to define the magnitude of a force by the magnitude of the changes in motion its causes per unit time: F = dp/dt

AM

Viru.universe said:
I didn't understand
"F=ma is really a definition of mass"

Newton determined empirically that the acceleration of a body is proportional to the force applied to the body. Mass is the proportionality constant between the net force on a body and its acceleration. therefore, F=ma can be looked upon as a definition of the property of mass.

F = ma (Newton's second law) is not actually the original equation.

The original equation is I = ∆(mv), or impulse = change in momentum

Differentiating that gives dI/dt = ma + (dm/dt)v,

and if m is constant then the RHS is just ma.

We call dI/dt "force", and write it "F"

∆(mv) is easy to measure, and therefore so is I.

a is not so easy to measure (especially in equilibrium! :rolleyes:)​

1. What is the definition of individual forces acting on a body?

Individual forces acting on a body refer to the different forces that are acting on an object or body in a given system. These forces can be either balanced or unbalanced, and they can have a magnitude and direction that affects the motion of the body.

2. What are some examples of individual forces?

Some examples of individual forces include gravity, friction, tension, normal force, applied force, and air resistance. These forces can either push or pull on an object and can cause it to move or change its state of motion.

3. How do individual forces affect the motion of a body?

Individual forces acting on a body can either cause it to accelerate, decelerate, or remain at a constant speed. The overall effect of these forces is determined by their magnitude and direction, as well as the mass of the body.

4. How can individual forces be represented?

Individual forces can be represented by vectors, which show both the magnitude and direction of the force. These vectors can be added together to determine the net force acting on a body, which ultimately affects its motion.

5. Why is it important to understand individual forces acting on a body?

Understanding individual forces acting on a body is crucial in physics and engineering as it allows us to predict and analyze the motion of objects in a given system. By understanding these forces, we can also design and create systems that are more efficient and effective for specific purposes.