What is a Hard Science and Which Undergraduate Degrees Fall Under This Category?

In summary, a "hard science" refers to quantitative subjects such as physics, astronomy, chemistry, biology, and geology, while "soft sciences" include subjects like sociology and archaeology. Computer science does not fall into the category of hard sciences and may not be accepted as a qualifying undergraduate degree for certain masters programs in engineering. It is recommended to check with individual programs to determine their specific requirements and consider taking additional courses in physics and engineering if necessary.
Cod
Definition of a "Hard Science"

I was reading through some master's program admissions guides and came across this statement twice under the requirements: "An undergraduate degree in engineering, math or hard science from a regionally-accredited university". The first two parts are self-explanatory; however, I'm unsure what a "hard science" is. What undergraduate degrees fall into this category? More specifically, does computer science classify as a "hard science"?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

It basically means "quantitative" instead of "qualitative" (or soft).

I don't think "computer science," despite the name, is actually a science at all, but I could be dramatically wrong about that.

Cod said:
however, I'm unsure what a "hard science" is. What undergraduate degrees fall into this category?
Hard science includes subjects such as physics, astronomy, chemistry, biology, geology, ... In other words, the natural sciences. Contrast that to the soft sciences that embodies subjects such as sociology, archaeology, ...

More specifically, does computer science classify as a "hard science"?
No.

It does however qualify as mathematics or engineering, so you are in luck.

Thanks for the quick replies.

So to be sure I understand, if I earn my BS in Computer Science, I can apply to programs which require a "hard science" undergraduate degree?

Guess I'm just a bit confused since computer science is in a whole different category of science. Some schools have CS as part of the engineering department while others have specific IT/computer departments. Bottom line, I'd like to apply to a masters program in aerospace engineering or computer/electrical engineering. Also, I believe it helps, I will have a minor in mathematics upon graduation.

Cod said:
Thanks for the quick replies.

So to be sure I understand, if I earn my BS in Computer Science, I can apply to programs which require a "hard science" undergraduate degree?

Guess I'm just a bit confused since computer science is in a whole different category of science. Some schools have CS as part of the engineering department while others have specific IT/computer departments. Bottom line, I'd like to apply to a masters program in aerospace engineering or computer/electrical engineering. Also, I believe it helps, I will have a minor in mathematics upon graduation.

Some people would consider it a hard science, some wouldn't. If you aren't sure, you could email the program-- though I would say you should probably be fine applying to such programs.

Cod said:
Nothing is stopping you from applying. Whether the school pays any attention to your application, no telling. Remember that those are minimum requirements. All that that means is that an application that lacks those minimum requirements will be tossed without prejudice.

Yeah, I forgot about the plethora of IT departments that have sprung up since I graduated. Anyone who goes for an advanced degree in a discipline different from their undergrad degree is going to be on a bit of a reduced footing compared to other candidates. Someone with an IT degree will have a particular tough road getting into an aerospace or electrical engineering program. If that's you, you might want to think of taking some physics and engineering classes. Having a solid mathematics background is a good start, but that is all it is: a start.

Simply contact the programs you are interested in and ask. As has been stated, definitions vary and you can't go by what the degree is called to define whether it's a hard science or not. The real question is, how many physics/chemistry/biology courses have you had to take? If it's like 3 or 4, you a probably aren't even close to prepared for an engineering masters degree. From what I've heard, computer engineering and computer science are very different fields so I think even that will be a problem.

What is considered a "hard science"?

A hard science is a field of study that is based on empirical evidence and uses scientific methods to explain natural phenomena. Examples of hard sciences include physics, chemistry, biology, and geology.

How is a hard science different from a soft science?

A hard science relies on quantitative data and uses mathematical models to make predictions and test hypotheses. Soft sciences, on the other hand, use qualitative data and may incorporate subjective interpretations and social factors in their research.

What are the main characteristics of a hard science?

Hard sciences are characterized by their use of the scientific method, which involves making observations, forming hypotheses, conducting experiments, and analyzing data. They also rely on concepts and theories that have been rigorously tested and can be replicated by other scientists.

How does a hard science contribute to society?

Hard sciences play a crucial role in advancing our understanding of the natural world and developing new technologies and innovations. They also have practical applications in fields such as medicine, engineering, and environmental conservation.

What are some challenges faced by hard science researchers?

Some challenges faced by hard science researchers include obtaining funding for their studies, dealing with ethical concerns, and overcoming biases and preconceived notions. They also need to stay up-to-date with advancements in their field and communicate their findings effectively to the public.