1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of a limit

1. Sep 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    lim (x - 4) = 2
    as x -> 6

eps > 0
    delta > 0

No eps given

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Not sure how to apply equation..
    Usually I would do

I assumed you would do..

6 - eps < x - 4 - 2 < 6 + eps
    12 - eps < x < 12 + eps

So, it would be min, (12-eps,12+eps)

But what do I do from here?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2013 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

You seem to be confused with the core concept of this question ( The limit definition ). Here's an easy way to remember the definition in symbols:

$$\forall \epsilon > 0, \exists \delta(\epsilon) > 0 \space | \space 0 < |x-a| < \delta \Rightarrow |f(x) - L| < \epsilon$$

It basically reads : Forall positive epsilon, there exists a positive delta in terms of epsilon such that we can make ##f(x)## as close to ##L## as we like. A more in depth explanation of what's going on is below.

Considering ##0 < |x-a| < \delta##, we know that ##|x-a|## must always be positive, so we never actually consider what happens at ##x=a##, only what happens as we approach it. That's where ##|x-a| < \delta## comes into play.

Expanding we get ##-\delta < x-a < \delta## and then ##x + \delta > a > x -\delta##.

So there exists a ##\delta > 0## such that ##a## is bounded between ##x + \delta## and ##x -\delta## and we can only arbitrarily get close to ##a##.

Using this, what does it say about ##|f(x) - L| < \epsilon##?

Well first, lets consider ##-\epsilon < f(x) - L < \epsilon## which yields ##f(x) + \epsilon > L > f(x) - \epsilon##. So ##\forall \epsilon > 0## we can make ##f(x)## as close to ##L## as we like. How close do we need to be you might ask? Sufficiently close.

What defines sufficiently close ( You probably hear this a lot )? Well, ##f(x)## varies according to the values of ##x##. How far away ##x## is from ##a## depends on ##\delta##. So the values of how far ##f(x)## is away from ##L## ( which change according to ##\epsilon## ) will also vary according to ##\delta##. Hence ##\epsilon## will change according to the ##\delta## we choose.

So in conclusion we know we can choose a ##\delta(\epsilon)## as to make ##f(x)## as close to ##L## as we like.

So as for your question, start with the ##|f(x) - L|## portion and massage it a bit to get it into a suitable form.

4. Sep 11, 2013 #3
    I just want to add this picture to supplement Zondrina explanation.
    precise.gif

5. Sep 11, 2013 #4
    Thanks a lot to both of you! When I get back from class I will thoroughly read through all of it and hopefully able to conceptually understand it.

EDIT: I'm an idiot..

i forgot delta = eps in linear functions with a slope of one ;D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted