1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of a Limit

1. Nov 14, 2013 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I know what a limit is and I understand the idea behind it, but I am misunderstanding something in the formal definition of a limit.

DEFINITION
    Let f(x) be defined on an open interval about x0, except possibly at x itself. We say that the limit of f(x) as x approaches x0 is the number L and write

limx → x0 f(x) = L

if, for every number ε > 0 there exists a corresponding number δ > 0 such that for all x,
    0 < abs(x – x0) < δ
    =>
    abs(f(x) – L) < ε

The attempt at a solution

For example, take f(x) = x2

I could, incorrectly, assert that limx → 2 f(x2) = 1

Now, δ > abs(x - 2) > 0
    and ε > abs(f(x) - 1)

If:
    1) this holds true for all values of x (except x = x0 = 2), and,
    2) for every possible value of epsilon some value of x which satisfies the above statement for both ε and δ exists,
    Then:
    1 is the limit of x2 as x approaches 2.

As an example, I pick x = 3. So,
    δ must be > 3
    and
    ε must be > 8

I can continue and choose arbitrary values of x, none of which seem to be a problem.

Likewise, for any value of epsilon I can think of, I can find an value of x which satisfies the inequality ε > abs(f(x) - 1) which also satisfies δ > abs(x - 2) > 0.
    ex: when ε > .01 I could have x = .999. This x also satisfies δ > abs(x - 2) > 0
    (as far I can tell, it's impossible not to satisfy gamma, as long as x isn't equal to x0)

By that reasoning, the claim I made above is true and limx → 2 f(x2) = 1

By the reasoning I'm using with the formal definition, I can state that any value of L is the limit for any function at an arbitrary x0 (given that the function has values infinity close to L at some point in time). This is clearly incorrect. Would anyone please point out the error in my application of the definition of a limit?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your error is that someone else chooses ##\epsilon##, and from that you have to find a δ > 0 so that, when |x - 2| < δ, |f(x) - L| < ##\epsilon##.

Using your example, where you postulate that ##\lim_{x \to 2}x^2 = 1##, I will say that ##\epsilon = .01##. You now have to find a pos. number δ such that for each x ##\in## (2 - δ, 2 + δ), then x2 ##\in## (.99, 1.01).

Sketch a graph of the function y = x2, and you'll see that this can't happen.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted