1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of a limit

1. Apr 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    It is not exactly a homework question, but why does the definition of a limit use strict inequalities as follows:
    if 0 < |x - a| < δ, then |f(x) - l| < ε
    rather than weak inequalities, for example
    if 0 < |x - a| < δ, then |f(x) - l| ≤ ε

Could the addition of the equality option make a difference?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried thinking of functions that would yield different limits to the limit produced by the formal definition, but couldn't find any.
    I also tried to rule it out somehow with formal deduction, but couldn't.
    Any hints or ideas?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2015 #2
    Ok, I realized that the fact I couldn't disprove it is because it indeed holds.
    It might not be as nice to be the definition, but given the definition,
    if 0 < |x - a| < δ, then |f(x) - l| ≤ ε
    implies that the limit of f is l.

4. Apr 20, 2015 #3
    We proved early in our analysis course as a "recreational" activity that the two are, in fact, equivalent statements, but we just agreed to use the strict inequality.

5. Apr 20, 2015 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's obvious that if ##\lim_{x\to a}f(x)=l## in the sense of the standard definition, then ##\lim_{x\to a}f(x)=l## in the sense of the alternative definition.

Suppose that ##\lim_{x\to a}f(x)=l## in the sense of the alternative definition. Let ##\varepsilon>0##. Let ##\delta>0## be such that the following implication holds for all ##x\in\mathbb R##,
    $$0<|x-a|<\delta~\Rightarrow~|f(x)-l| <\frac\varepsilon 2.$$ (Our assumption ensures that such a ##\delta## exists). For all ##x\in\mathbb R## such that ##0<|x-a|<\delta##, we have ##|f(x)-l|<\frac\varepsilon 2<\varepsilon##. This implies that ##\lim_{x\to a}f(x)=l## in the sense of the standard definition.

6. Apr 23, 2015 #5
    Thanks for your responses.
    Could you refer me to the analysis course you mentioned?

Edit: Oh, I guess you meant a course you took elsewhere, not some section here in PF. Nvm...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted