1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of a moment in statics? Please help

1. Feb 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How do i know how to calculate it properly ? Like i Know M=Fd but, how can i tell if its positve counterclockwise or negative clockwise. Expecially when you have components.

hibbeler_chapter4.jpg

Something Like this thats broken into compoents how can i calculate the moment ? Im totally confused on how it goes

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Let's assume you are talking about Torque, which is force taken through a moment arm.

Take 1 direction to be positive. I use the right hand rule generally - which means counter-clockwise with the Torque arrow pointing up.

Resolve the force arrows with respect to x,y so that you have a representation that looks like

F = a i + b j

Then the point at which a line along and through the force intersects the x or y axis, then the product of the distance along the axis times the component perpendicular to the axis is your Torque.

For instance in your example at B the Torque will be + FBy*B along the x axis.

Alternatively, you can project the line of the Force vector to a line that is perpendicular with the pivot and then just take the product.

A quick search yielded this link that more or less says the same thing.
    http://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/tutorials/torque/Q.torque.intro108.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook