1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of a relation

1. Jan 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is a seemingly subtle point here, that would actually clear up both of the two previous posts I have made. A relation R is said to be defined on S and T if [tex] s \in S [/tex] and [tex] s \in dom(R) [/tex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Does this mean, that if I see a question that starts if R is defined on S ... that I can assume if I define a relation on S, call it T, that the domain of T must also be S. Or for any relation that we define on a set, it can be assumed that the domain of the relation is that set?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi icantadd! :smile:

Sorry, I'm not following any of that. :confused:

A relation on S is a subset of S x S.

From the PF Library page on relation …
  4. Jan 15, 2009 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A relation on S is any subset of the cartesian product SxS, the set of ordered pairs of objects from S. It does not follow from that that every member of S must be in some ordered pair. For example, I could define R on Z, the set of integers by "xRy is x and y are both odd numbers" That would consist of things like (1, 1), (3, 5), (-3, 7), etc. That is also of course, a relation on "O", the set of odd integers. If R is a relation on both sets S and T, the members of the pairs of R must be contained in both S and T: some subset of the intersection of S and T.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?