1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of a Tensor

1. Aug 4, 2012 #1
    I am still a physics novice and am learning new things everyday. I've been looking at tensors recently and I'm finding that I can't really understand what they are. Could someone explain in relatively simple words what the definition of a tensor is and why they are so significant? Also, what is the significance of Riemann's metric tensor, which I read about in Michio Kaku's Hyperspace. Examples would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2012 #2
    See this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5liqUk0ZTw

Take a look at this thread, where the OP asked a similar question. There are a variety of good explanations that you may find helpful.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=623124

Also, you're mixing together two different tensors - the Riemann curvature tensor and the metric tensor.

4. Aug 4, 2012 #3
    Yes, my mistake. I meant the Riemann curvature tensor.

5. Aug 4, 2012 #4
    What is a tensor? Really, there are two kinds of tensors. One kind of tensor is a linear operator that, for example, maps vectors to other vectors. Hence the matrices representing rotations, reflections, and the like are representations of such tensors.

The other kind of tensor represents a generalization of a vector. From the span of two vectors, you can build a plane. From three vectors, you can build a volume, and so on. Some tensors represent these objects.

For both kinds of tensors, there is a transformation law based on the idea that a change of coordinates should not change the tensor itself--new coordinates may change the components, but the overall object should remain unchanged. It is this common transformation law (of the components) that is why both types of tensors--the linear operators and the generalization of vectors--are typically lumped together.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook