Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of accuracy

1. May 21, 2015 #1
    I want to ask a strange question. When the gun has 10% accuracy, what does 10% mean? I mean it doesn't really tell me anything. How large is the area the bullets spread if the gun has 10% accuracy? I have already attempted to find articles in google, and I still didn't get the answer about the relationship between spreading area and accuracy value.

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2015 #2

Svein

Science Advisor

I suspect it is "meaningless number used by salespersons". In my opinion 10% accuracy would mean that with the gun in a vise (or whatever gunsmiths use), 10% of the shots would hit the bulls-eye. Which is pretty bad if you ask me.

4. May 21, 2015 #3
    but my concern is about the remaining 90% shots, where will they land? any probability equations that can predict? thx

5. May 21, 2015 #4

Svein

Science Advisor

Well, i assume they will hit something in front of the gun. You can assign any probability distribution you want, but it will be meaningless until you have data.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  6. May 21, 2015 #5

nsaspook

Science Advisor

The usual measurement of gun accuracy is MOA.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minute_of_arc#Firearms

7. May 21, 2015 #6
    oh I see, what I was thinking about is way more complicated though. Say a gun can shoot 2 bullets at the same time, with what accuracy of the gun will it hit a target with area A in the most accurate manner. each bullet will go into the direction according to the probability. Any idea for this...? thx

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook