Definition of accuracy

• Thread starter sunmaggot
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I want to ask a strange question. When the gun has 10% accuracy, what does 10% mean? I mean it doesn't really tell me anything. How large is the area the bullets spread if the gun has 10% accuracy? I have already attempted to find articles in google, and I still didn't get the answer about the relationship between spreading area and accuracy value.

Answers and Replies

Svein
Science Advisor
Insights Author
I suspect it is "meaningless number used by salespersons". In my opinion 10% accuracy would mean that with the gun in a vise (or whatever gunsmiths use), 10% of the shots would hit the bulls-eye. Which is pretty bad if you ask me.

I suspect it is "meaningless number used by salespersons". In my opinion 10% accuracy would mean that with the gun in a vise (or whatever gunsmiths use), 10% of the shots would hit the bulls-eye. Which is pretty bad if you ask me.
but my concern is about the remaining 90% shots, where will they land? any probability equations that can predict? thx

Svein
Science Advisor
Insights Author
but my concern is about the remaining 90% shots, where will they land? any probability equations that can predict? thx
Well, i assume they will hit something in front of the gun. You can assign any probability distribution you want, but it will be meaningless until you have data.

Last edited:
nsaspook
Science Advisor
I want to ask a strange question. When the gun has 10% accuracy, what does 10% mean? I mean it doesn't really tell me anything. How large is the area the bullets spread if the gun has 10% accuracy? I have already attempted to find articles in google, and I still didn't get the answer about the relationship between spreading area and accuracy value.
The usual measurement of gun accuracy is MOA.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minute_of_arc#Firearms

Well, i assume they will hit something in front of the gun. You can any probability distribution you want, but it will be meaningless until you have data.
oh I see, what I was thinking about is way more complicated though. Say a gun can shoot 2 bullets at the same time, with what accuracy of the gun will it hit a target with area A in the most accurate manner. each bullet will go into the direction according to the probability. Any idea for this...? thx