Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of Angular Spread?

  1. May 12, 2015 #1
    Hi, I have a very simple question. What is meant by "angular spread"? I'm not too sure what is meant by that. I have tried looking on this forum as well as on google have not found any sort of definition or description. For example, the spread of light when diffracting? Or the spread of light between fringes?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2015 #2

    Doc Al

    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    You need to be more specific with the context of your question. Is there a problem or text that is prompting your question?
  4. May 12, 2015 #3


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    The actual definition is quite arbitrary and will depend upon the application (as mentioned above) but it is common to talk in terms of the 'half power' angles. This is the angle on either side of the peak power of the beam where the power density is one half of the peak power density. It is certainly the most common way to describe the beam width of a directional radio antenna (same situation at a much longer wavelength).
  5. May 12, 2015 #4
    The simplest application has one base point (vertex) and two other points some distance from the base point. Drawing a line from the base point to each of the other points produces an angle. That angle is the "angular spread" between the two other points as seen from the base point. Get the point? ;-]
    Last edited: May 12, 2015
  6. May 12, 2015 #5


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    I would call that the angle subtended, it we're talking geometry.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Discussions: Definition of Angular Spread?
  1. Spread in Wavelength (Replies: 1)

  2. Light Spreading (Replies: 16)

  3. Spread of Light (Replies: 3)