What is the proof for continuity using the existence of a derivative?

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of continuity as proven by the existence of a derivative. The proof involves taking the limit of an expression and showing that it equals zero, thus proving continuity. The conversation also mentions the mean value theorem and Newton's method, which are related to this proof. However, there is some confusion in the presentation of the proof, as the left side of the equation is assumed to be zero without proper justification. The correct approach is to show that the right side of the equation approaches zero, thus proving continuity at a specific point.
sponsoredwalk
Hi I have a question about continuity as it is proven by the existence of a derivative.

The proof I've read is the following and I really just want to talk about it to be 100% sure I've understood it and I know where it comes from;

1: We'll take the equation of a line; [tex] f(x) \ - \ f(x_0) \ = \ m (x \ - \ x_0) \ [/tex]

where;

[tex] m \ = \ \frac{f(x) \ - \ f(x_0)}{x \ - \ x_0} [/tex]

and set it up like so;

2: [tex] f(x) \ = \ \frac{f(x) \ - \ f(x_0)}{x \ - \ x_0} (x \ - \ x_0 ) \ + \ f(x) [/tex]

So, as I understand the proof, if we want to prove that the function f is continuous we will take the limit of the above expression and as x tends back onto itself and by getting the equality f(x_0) = f(x_0) we've proved the function continues along at this point

3: [tex] \lim_{x \to x_0} f(x) \ = \ \lim_{x \to x_0} \frac{f(x) \ - \ f(x_0)}{x \ - \ x_0} (x \ - \ x_0 ) \ + \ \lim_{x \to x_0} f(x) [/tex]

4: [tex] f(x_0) \ = \ f ' (x_0) (x_0 \ - \ x_0 ) \ + \ f(x_0) [/tex]

5: [tex] f(x_0) \ = \ f ' (x_0) (0) \ + \ f(x_0) [/tex]

6: [tex] f(x_0) \ = \ f(x_0) [/tex]

I wonder how deep a proof this is, it is from an advanced calculus text. :tongue2:

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that argument is very confused as it is written. Try looking at it this way (I'm going to use a instead of x0 to avoid the subscripts). Begin with this identity:

[tex]\frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a}= f'(a)+\frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a}-f'(a)[/tex]

That is obviously an identity. Now multiply both sides by (x-a) ane rewrite it as:

[tex]f(x)-f(a)= f'(a)(x-a)+\left( \ \frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a}-f'(a)\ \right)(x-a)[/tex]

Now take the limit as [itex]x \rightarrow a[/itex] on both sides. On the right side the quantity in the large parentheses goes to zero because the function is differentiable at a and the difference quotient approaches f'(a). The other two terms on the right obviously go to zero too. Therefore the left side goes to zero too and f is continuous at a.

But I don't understand, what you've essentially written the before and after product of a derivative in the first latex frame and then wrote something that just equals zero in the second latex frame.

The L.H.S. of your second latex frame is zero because as x-->a it becomes f(a) - f(a) ergo zero. The R.H.S. obviously goes to zero too because of (x - a) becoming (a - a) = 0. It just comes out of nowhere to me and could be speaking about anything.

As I understand the proof I've put up it defines the function to be continuous by employing the equation of a line and then attaining equality on both sides. It also works because it is applicable to any function directly.

I'm just very familiar with the form I've put up as the mean value theorem and Newtons method jump directly from it.

Can you tell me what I'm confused about in writing it this way?

sponsoredwalk said:
But I don't understand, what you've essentially written the before and after product of a derivative in the first latex frame and then wrote something that just equals zero in the second latex frame.

The L.H.S. of your second latex frame is zero because as x-->a it becomes f(a) - f(a) ergo zero.

No. You are trying to prove that f is continuous at x = a. You aren't given that [itex]f(x) \rightarrow f(a)[/itex] so you can't assume it and you don't have the left side goes to zero given. The point of this argument is that you can prove [itex]f(x) \rightarrow f(a)[/itex] by noting that f(x) - f(a) is equal to an expression on the right side which obviously does go to zero. That is how you know [itex]f(x) \rightarrow f(a)[/itex] and that is how you prove f is continuous at a.

1. What is the definition of continuity?

The definition of continuity is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function at a specific point. It states that a function is continuous at a point if the limit of the function at that point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point.

2. How is continuity different from differentiability?

Continuity and differentiability are related concepts, but they are not the same. Continuity refers to the behavior of a function at a specific point, while differentiability refers to the ability of a function to have a defined derivative at a point. A function can be continuous but not differentiable, and vice versa.

3. What does it mean for a function to be continuous on an interval?

A function is continuous on an interval if it is continuous at every point within that interval. This means that the function has no abrupt changes or breaks within the interval and can be graphed without any gaps or jumps.

4. How do you determine if a function is continuous at a point?

To determine if a function is continuous at a point, you must first check if the limit of the function at that point exists. If the limit exists, then you must compare it to the value of the function at that point. If the limit and the value are equal, then the function is continuous at that point.

5. Are all polynomial functions continuous?

Yes, all polynomial functions are continuous. This is because polynomial functions are made up of a finite number of terms, each of which is a continuous function. Therefore, the entire polynomial function is also continuous.