1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of dx

1. Sep 23, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://imgur.com/goozE9f
    2. Relevant equations
    ##(dx_i)_p i= 1,2,3##

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm reading Manfredo and Do Carmo's Differential Forms and Applications. This is the very first page

Would you mind explaining me what is meant by dx, as highlighted in the picture? I guess it is "differential", like in Calculus textbooks, but what kind of mathematical object is it? A set, a line, a point? What is its domain? How is it formalized?

Instances of png.png compose the space's basis. Are they arbitrary, or should they be selected in some way?

PS: Is there any way to post the image here without uploading it to your server?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome to physicsforums Bruno.

That text explains it in rather a confusing fashion.

Using the notation of the text, ##(dx_i)_p## is a linear function from the tangent space ##\mathbb{R}_p^3## to ##\mathbb{R}##. Its value is given by its action on basis vectors of that tangent space:

##(dx_i)_p \big((\vec{e}_j)_p\big)=\delta_{ij}## where ##\delta_{ij}## is the Kronecker Delta, which is 0 unless ##i=j##, in which case it is 1.

Note that, under this notation, ##(dx_i)_p## is defined with respect to a basis ##\{(\vec{e}_1)_p,(\vec{e}_2)_p,(\vec{e}_3)_p\}## for the tangent space. Each differential form ##(dx_i)_p## corresponds to a particular basis vector ##(\vec{e}_1)_p## and is called its 'dual'.

To post an image, you can just copy the image on your computer and paste it into the editing area with ctrl-V.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted