What is the correct definition of an electric field from a line of charge?

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of an electric field from a line of charge and the confusion regarding the scalar and vector quantities involved in the integral. The conversation ends with a clarification on the correct notation for the electric field, which includes a unit vector in the integral.
kmeatball
Hi,

I'm having some difficulty understanding the definition of an electric field.

When we define the electric field from a line of charge in terms of a path integral:

[tex]E(r)=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\int_{\mathcal{P}} \frac{\lambda(r')}{\Vert r-r' \Vert^{3}}(r-r')dl'[/tex]

It seems to me that the integral is a scalar, but the electric field is a vector. Am
I missing something here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The r-r' in the numerator is a vector.

Thank you for the reply but I knew that was a vector:) Let me try an example to explain the details of my ignorance:

Compute the electric field at (0,0,1) due to a line of charge with charge density [tex]\lambda[/tex] on the path c(t) = (t, 3t, 0) for [tex]t\in (0,1)[/tex]

I know I can reduce this to a line of charge along the x-axis with a change of variable but I just want to understand how the mathematical notation works.

Start with the derivative of the path:
[tex]
\frac{dc(t)}{dt}=(1,3,0)
[/tex]

Since the charge on a given length of the line is given by [tex]\lambda[/tex] times the length we get

[tex]dq= \lambda dc(t) = \lambda (1,3,0)dt[/tex]

So then (1,3,0)dt is the dl' in the definition of the electric potential. Substituting this into the definition gives

[tex]
E(0,0,1) = \frac{\lambda}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int_{0}^{1}
\frac{(-t,-3t,1)}{(t^2+(3t)^2+1)^{\frac{3}{2}}}(1,3,0)dt
[/tex]

But now we have a dot product of two vectors in the integral, which is a scalar. I get the same result when I try to use the definition of a line integral from my calculus textbook:

[tex]
\int_{\mathcal{P}}F\cdot ds= \int_{a}^{b}F(c(t))\cdot c'(t)dt
[/tex]

Please help point out my error.

kmeatball said:
Thank you for the reply but I knew that was a vector:) Let me try an example to explain the details of my ignorance:

Compute the electric field at (0,0,1) due to a line of charge with charge density [tex]\lambda[/tex] on the path c(t) = (t, 3t, 0) for [tex]t\in (0,1)[/tex]

I know I can reduce this to a line of charge along the x-axis with a change of variable but I just want to understand how the mathematical notation works.

Start with the derivative of the path:
[tex]
\frac{dc(t)}{dt}=(1,3,0)
[/tex]

Since the charge on a given length of the line is given by [tex]\lambda[/tex] times the length we get

[tex]dq= \lambda dc(t) = \lambda (1,3,0)dt[/tex]

So then (1,3,0)dt is the dl' in the definition of the electric potential. Substituting this into the definition gives

[tex]
\frac{(-t,-3t,1)}{(t^2+(3t)^2+1)^{\frac{3}{2}}}(1,3,0)dt
[/tex]

But now we have a dot product of two vectors in the integral, which is a scalar. I get the same result when I try to use the definition of a line integral from my calculus textbook:

[tex]
\int_{\mathcal{P}}F\cdot ds= \int_{a}^{b}F(c(t))\cdot c'(t)dt
[/tex]

Please help point out my error.

dq is a scalar. It is [tex] \lambda dl [/tex] where dl is the length element. That would be [tex] \sqrt{ (\frac{\partial x(t)}{\partial t})^2 + \ldots} dt [/tex]

So the integral is
[tex]
\frac{(-t,-3t,1)}{(t^2+(3t)^2+1)^{\frac{3}{2}}}\sqrt{10}dt
[/tex]
right?

Does that mean that
[tex]
E_{x}(0,0,1) = \int_{0}^{1}
\frac{-t}{(t^2+(3t)^2+1)^{\frac{3}{2}}}\sqrt{10}dt
[/tex]

[tex]
E_{y}(0,0,1) = \int_{0}^{1}
\frac{-3t}{(t^2+(3t)^2+1)^{\frac{3}{2}}}\sqrt{10}dt
[/tex]

[tex]
E_{z}(0,0,1) = \int_{0}^{1}
\frac{1}{(t^2+(3t)^2+1)^{\frac{3}{2}}}\sqrt{10}dt
[/tex]

Im just confused because the definition of a line integral states that you're supposed to integrate the dot product of the vector field with the derivative of the path. I don't see how the above is taking any dot product...

Last edited:
kmeatball said:
Im just confused because the definition of a line integral states that you're supposed to integrate the dot product of the vector field with the derivative of the path. I don't see how the above is taking any dot product...

But the electric field at a point is not given by a line integral.

The work done on a particle in moving it from a point to another point would be an example of a line integral.

kdv said:
But the electric field at a point is not given by a line integral.

The work done on a particle in moving it from a point to another point would be an example of a line integral.
A "line integral" need not be a dot product.
Your first post is an example of a line integral that is not a dot product.

pam said:
A "line integral" need not be a dot product.
Your first post is an example of a line integral that is not a dot product.

I stand corrected. By the way, I am not the OP so this should read "The first post of the OP is not a line integral".

kmeatball said:
When we define the electric field from a line of charge in terms of a path integral:

[tex]E(r)=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\int_{\mathcal{P}} \frac{\lambda(r')}{\Vert r-r' \Vert^{3}}(r-r')dl'[/tex]

[tex]E(r)=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\int_{\mathcal{P}} \frac{\lambda(r')}{\Vert r-r' \Vert^{2}}(r-r')dl'[/tex]

isn't tis the correct way..

Last edited:
sphyics said:
[tex]E(r)=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\int_{\mathcal{P}} \frac{\lambda(r')}{\Vert r-r' \Vert^{2}}(r-r')dl'[/tex]

isn't tis the correct way..

No. While it's true that according to Coulomb's law, the magnitude of the electric field goes as one over the square of the distance between the charge and the point at which the field is being measured, the extra factor of one over distance comes from the fact that we want to multiply this by a UNIT vector in the direction of that distance (the unit vector is in parentheses in the integral below):

[tex]E(\mathbf{r})=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\int_{\mathcal{P}} \frac{\lambda(\mathbf{r'})}{\Vert \mathbf{r-r'} \Vert^{2}}\left(\frac{\mathbf{r-r'}}{\Vert \mathbf{r-r'} \Vert}\right)dl'[/tex]

which reduces to what the OP wrote.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence that a charged object exerts on other charged objects in its vicinity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is the electric field strength defined?

The electric field strength, also known as electric field intensity, is defined as the force per unit charge experienced by a test charge placed in the electric field. It is measured in newtons per coulomb (N/C).

3. What is the relationship between electric field and electric potential?

The electric potential at a point in an electric field is defined as the amount of work required to move a unit positive charge from infinity to that point. The electric field is the negative gradient of electric potential, meaning it is the rate of change of electric potential with respect to distance.

4. How is the direction of an electric field determined?

The direction of an electric field is determined by the direction that a positive test charge would move if placed in the field. Electric field lines are used to represent the direction and strength of the electric field, with the direction of the field pointing away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

5. What are some real-life applications of electric fields?

Electric fields have many practical applications, including in the operation of electric motors, generators, and batteries. They are also used in technologies such as televisions, computers, and cell phones. Additionally, electric fields are used in medical procedures such as electrocardiograms and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).