Definition of fermionic annihilation operators

In summary, when acting on a wavefunction with a group of different creation/annihilation operators (all identical fermions), it is important to include both spin states in the annihilation operator in order to properly represent the system and satisfy the necessary anticommutation relations.
malcomson
Hi, I'm revising for an exam and I came across a past paper that has a question on annihilation operators, It asks what happens when acting on a wavefunction with a group of different creation/annhilation operators (all identical fermions..

It's quite simple apart from the fact that it includes both spin up and spin down options and in my notes I only have a simplified case of all spin up fermions.

My question is, if the annihilation operator ai is has the constants (-1)^n1+n2+...+ni-1 times ni where n1 etc are the occupancies of each state. Does this include both spin states of should I treat them as separate sets.

I think I should include both spins as that would give the anticommutation relations between operators of different spins, allowing antisymmetry of a function under the interchange of two particles of opposing spin but I'm not really confident about it.

Apologies if unclear, am yet to figure out putting equations in posts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you should include both spin states. The annihilation operator is a linear combination of all the single particle states with the coefficients being determined by the occupancy of each state. As such, it should include both spin up and spin down states in order to properly represent the system. This is also necessary to ensure that the anticommutation relations between operators of different spins hold, which are necessary for antisymmetry of a function under the interchange of two particles of opposing spin.

1. What are fermionic annihilation operators?

Fermionic annihilation operators are mathematical operators used in quantum mechanics to describe the annihilation of fermions, which are particles with half-integer spin. They are represented by the symbol a and act on fermionic states to decrease the number of fermions in a given state.

2. How are fermionic annihilation operators different from bosonic annihilation operators?

The main difference between fermionic and bosonic annihilation operators is that fermionic operators obey the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two identical fermions can occupy the same quantum state at the same time. Bosonic operators, on the other hand, do not obey this principle and can have an arbitrary number of particles in the same state.

3. What is the significance of fermionic annihilation operators in quantum mechanics?

Fermionic annihilation operators are essential in quantum mechanics as they allow us to describe the behavior of fermions, which make up the majority of matter in our universe. They are used in various mathematical formulations, such as the second quantization method, to study the quantum states and dynamics of fermionic systems.

4. How do fermionic annihilation operators affect the symmetry of a system?

Fermionic annihilation operators play a crucial role in determining the symmetry of a quantum system. They anti-commute with each other, meaning that when two operators are swapped, the resulting wavefunction is multiplied by -1. This anti-commutation relation leads to the formation of fermionic wavefunctions that exhibit antisymmetry, which is a fundamental feature of fermionic systems.

5. Can fermionic annihilation operators be used to describe interactions between fermions?

Yes, fermionic annihilation operators can be used to describe interactions between fermions. They are used in the second quantization method to construct Hamiltonians that describe the dynamics of interacting fermionic systems. These operators allow us to calculate important properties of fermions in interacting systems, such as energy levels and scattering amplitudes.