Definition of Fourier transform

In summary: To summarize, the forward Fourier transform is the transform that we are most used to and it operates in the frequency domain. The backward Fourier transform is the inverse of the forward Fourier transform and it operates in the time domain.
jollage
Hi All,

Usually the Fourier transform is defined as the one in the Wiki page here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_transform), see the definition.

My question is can I define Fourier transform as [itex]\int[/itex]f(x)e[itex]^{2\pi ix \varsigma}[/itex]dx instead, i.e., with the minus sign removed, as the forward Fourier transform? The backward one is the one with the minus sign. So the definition is the opposite to the definition on the wiki page.

Can I define this? Will the so-transformed frequency domain still bear the physical meanings as we usually talk about?

Thanks in advance. Any comment will help.

Jo

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, jollage! :smile:

Yep. You can do that.
Fourier transforms are defined haphazardly as you may already have noticed.
Changing the sign or the constants does not change the way it operates, nor the physical meaning.

Just be aware that the result you get might differ from one found the other way.

OK, thank you for confirming this. This is great. I guess I could move on with this definition.

It just means that what you call a positive frequency, everyone else calls a negative frequency, and vice-versa. If you are dealing with real-valued functions only (i.e. not complex), it won't make much difference, because in that case the negative-frequency spectrum is just a mirror image of the positive-frequency spectrum.

Last edited:
jollage said:
Hi All,

Usually the Fourier transform is defined as the one in the Wiki page here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_transform), see the definition.

My question is can I define Fourier transform as [itex]\int[/itex]f(x)e[itex]^{2\pi ix \varsigma}[/itex]dx instead, i.e., with the minus sign removed, as the forward Fourier transform? The backward one is the one with the minus sign. So the definition is the opposite to the definition on the wiki page.
See equations 15 and 16 here:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FourierTransform.html

To get a "general" Fourier transform there are two free parameters that you can set. Different groups use different choices of those free parameters as their "standard", but it is all just a matter of convention.

What is the definition of Fourier transform?

The Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function into its constituent frequencies. It transforms a signal from the time domain to the frequency domain, allowing us to analyze the signal's frequency content.

How is Fourier transform calculated?

The Fourier transform is calculated by integrating a function over all possible input values, using complex numbers and complex exponentials. This process can be represented as a mathematical formula, which is known as the Fourier transform equation.

What is the difference between Fourier transform and Fourier series?

The Fourier transform is a continuous version of the Fourier series, which is a way of representing a periodic function as a combination of simpler, periodic functions. The Fourier transform can be used for non-periodic functions, while the Fourier series is only applicable to periodic functions.

What are some applications of Fourier transform?

Fourier transform is widely used in signal processing, image processing, and data analysis. It is also used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance for analyzing and understanding complex systems and patterns.

What are the limitations of Fourier transform?

Fourier transform assumes that the signal is infinite and stationary, meaning it does not change over time. This can be a limitation when dealing with real-world signals that are not necessarily stationary. Additionally, Fourier transform does not capture localized information about a signal, which can be important in some applications.