Definition of gravitational potential

In summary, the definition of gravitational potential at a point is the work done per kg to move a small test mass from infinity to that point. This concept may be difficult to grasp, but it is important to note that the work is done by the gravitational field, not by the person moving the object. This is why the formula has a negative sign. It may be helpful to refer to Wikipedia's definition for a clearer explanation. When considering the energy changes involved, it is important to remember that the sum of kinetic and potential energy must remain constant. Therefore, if the potential energy decreases, the kinetic energy will increase by the same amount. When describing energy changes, it is best to use precise language and equations to avoid confusion.
Rohan1997

Homework Statement

The definition of gravitational potential at a point in my textbook is "the work done per kg to move a small test mass from infinity to that point"

I am having difficulty grasping this concept,

how is work done bringing an object closer to earth??

shouldn't work be done in lifting an object hence moving it from distance=0 to that point, and not the other way round??

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right - work is not done by you - rather, it's the gravitational field that does work in bringing the object closer. That's exactly why the formula has a -ve sign.

Rohan1997 said:
The definition of gravitational potential at a point in my textbook is "the work done per kg to move a small test mass from infinity to that point"
I think Wikipedia's definition is much clearer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_potential The first sentence of that article is probably all you need to know to start solving gravitational potential problems. While your textbook's definition is not wrong, I would have described it differently for an intro to physics student. Also, PWiz speaks the truth.

PWiz said:
You're right - work is not done by you - rather, it's the gravitational field that does work in bringing the object closer. That's exactly why the formula has a -ve sign.
ahh that makes a bit more sense that i can cope with, thank you

But since work is a change of energy would the energy change be GPE---> KE?

The correct way to write it will be ##ΔPE=-ΔKE##, because their sum has to remain constant.

PWiz said:
The correct way to write it will be ##ΔPE=-ΔKE##, because their sum has to remain constant.

No you're wrong, I am talking about the energy changes qualitatively not quantitatively, so the way I have wrote it is also correct.

Rohan1997 said:
No you're wrong, I am talking about the energy changes qualitatively not qualitatively, so the way I have wrote it is also correct.

Okay, maybe so, but when you actually have to start solving problems, you are going to need some equations.

Likes Rohan1997
AlephNumbers said:
Okay, maybe so, but when you actually have to start solving problems, you are going to need some equations.
sound then.

If the potential energy of an object reduces by 5J, then its kinetic energy increases by 5J. I didn't explicitly say you were wrong. What I meant was that its generally suitable to use the equation I gave above to avoid confusion, so that ##KE + PE## stays invariant.

PWiz said:
If the potential energy of an object reduces by 5J, then its kinetic energy increases by 5J. I didn't explicitly say you were wrong. What I meant was that its generally suitable to use the equation I gave above to avoid confusion, so that ##KE + PE## stays invariant.

I understand what you were saying but again, I'm not talking about anything in quantitative format... I was describing energy changes in a descriptive way. If an exam question came up asking me to describe the energy changes I would get no marks for writing what you said...

Rohan1997 said:
But since work is a change of energy would the energy change be GPE---> KE?
The last part looked like a transformation equation to me... nevermind. If a description is asked, then don't leave room for error by using any loose words. Of course, this varies depending on what is expected from you during an exam, but I have a tendency to use equations even for these kind of questions in my exams - no room for misunderstanding is then left. In the end however, follow what advice your teacher gives you prior to appearing for the examination (as it will agree with the format in which you're expected to give answers).

Likes AlephNumbers

What is the definition of gravitational potential?

The gravitational potential at a point in space is the amount of work required to move a unit mass from an infinite distance to that point, against the force of gravity.

How is gravitational potential measured?

Gravitational potential is measured in units of energy per unit mass, such as joules per kilogram (J/kg) or electron volts per atomic mass unit (eV/amu).

What is the relationship between gravitational potential and gravitational force?

The gravitational potential at a point is directly related to the gravitational force acting on an object at that point. The higher the potential, the stronger the force.

Is gravitational potential constant or does it vary?

Gravitational potential varies depending on the distance from the source of gravity. It decreases with distance and approaches zero at an infinite distance.

How is gravitational potential different from gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit mass at a point in space, while gravitational potential energy is the actual energy possessed by an object due to its position in a gravitational field.