What factors affect induced voltage and how is it calculated?

In summary, the conversation discussed calculating the induced voltage between two sides and the confusion surrounding the nonconservative field. It was unclear if the question was poorly phrased or if there was a misunderstanding of the voltage definition. The conversation also touched on the relationship between the resistances of different components of the loop and how the emf is affected by the routing of wires. Ultimately, it was concluded that the dφ/dt would be sufficient for this scenario.
Fibo112
I am asked to caluculate the induced voltage between the two sides. To me it is confusing what is meant since the field is nonconservative. Is the question phrased in an unclear way or am I missing something about the actual definition of the voltage between two points.

Attachments

• 20180801_190559.jpg
    20180801_190559.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 407
Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't it just dφ/dt?
That's my first thought on the matter. Are you looking for more than that?

Maybe I was just overthinking it. Usually when I want to figure out the voltage between two points I calculate the work needed to move a charge from one point to the other. Since this is not well defined here I was unsure how to proceed. I guess here since there is only one closed circuit they are talking about the work done when traveling once around this circuit, which is well defined.

edit: they are not asking for the emf for one loop but for traveling from one side to the other, I have to think on this some more

Fibo112 said:
for traveling from one side to the other,
If B is constant then it is necessary for the loop to change area if you want to induce an emf.

sophiecentaur said:
If B is constant then it is necessary for the loop to change area if you want to induce an emf.
this I know

wouldn't the solution here depend the relationship of the resistances of the different components of the loop?

Fibo112 said:
this I know
I thought you did but your comments made me wonder.
Fibo112 said:
wouldn't the solution here depend the relationship of the resistances of the different components of the loop?
The emf is the open circuit volts so resistance doesn't come into it. Each elemental bit of the wire produces a small emf and they all add up to the point ( gap) of interest in the circuit.
I think the original diagram is a bit sloppy (as is common with such diagrams. The emf, measured with two wires to a meter, will depend on the routing of the wires and there are a number of apparent Paradoxes that turn up concerning this. I think that the dφ/dt would be enough to be getting on with here. It's the flux through the area to the right hand side of the grey bar that counts.

There was a thread about this not long ago. You could search for it. There's a Movie of a lecture by Walter Lewin which deals with the apparent paradox.

1. What is the definition of induced voltage?

Induced voltage, also known as electromotive force (EMF), is a measure of the electric potential difference created by a changing magnetic field in a conductor or circuit.

2. How is induced voltage different from applied voltage?

Induced voltage is created by a changing magnetic field, while applied voltage is a constant flow of electric potential difference from an external source, such as a battery or power outlet.

3. What causes induced voltage?

Induced voltage is caused by Faraday's law of induction, which states that a changing magnetic field will induce a voltage in a conductor.

4. What are some real-world applications of induced voltage?

Induced voltage is used in various technologies, such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in wireless charging and electromagnetic induction cooktops.

5. How is induced voltage measured?

Induced voltage can be measured using a voltmeter, which measures the potential difference between two points in a circuit. It is also measured in volts (V) and can be calculated using the equation EMF = -N(dΦ/dt), where N is the number of turns in a coil and dΦ/dt is the change in magnetic flux over time.