Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of life

1. Oct 2, 2006 #1
    My professor at ucla gave the class a working definition of life as a self-reproducing, chemical system. Is there problems with this definition?

Well, given the definition only to work with, can we now consider gay people to be living?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2006 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

most gay people have the ability to reproduce, but may choose not to. If you want a more interesting challenge to the definition, consider humans or organisms that are sterile.
    my two cents.

4. Oct 3, 2006 #3

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

But even a celibate monk is, in and of himself, a "self-reproducing chemical system". Our body cells die and are replaced at a fearsome rate.

The problem I see with the definition is that it may include systems that are not generally agreed to be alive. Let's discuss viruses, for example, and how about the simple chemical reaction in a petri dish that generates repeating spiral waves?

5. Oct 3, 2006 #4
    Beer + DNA = life.

everything that doesnt get beer is magic :tongue2:

6. Oct 21, 2006 #5
    life ...hmm

LIFE - I think the definition of life - "is to do some thing - does not matter what you do or what you think, just do some thing"

7. Oct 23, 2006 #6
    If evolution is correct, then the chemical system that is life reproduces, some of it will mutate. If it mutates to gay person, then that mutation dies. Gays don't have an affect on general populaton anyway. That's why the general population keeps producing mutated offsprings that are gay.

8. Nov 17, 2006 #7
    Life is the greatest form of organism that takes shape in all its nature to reach ultimate goal of highest form to meet the consequences.

9. Nov 17, 2006 #8

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Just as I thought. People who are technically educated in the life sciences don't participate in discussions on the definition of life and leave them to the uninformed hoi polloi, like me!

10. Nov 17, 2006 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Not having any children, I guess I'm not alive either.

Bummer.

11. Nov 17, 2006 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Life's a piece of sh*t, when you think of it..

Monty Python.

12. Nov 17, 2006 #11

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Is there any serious reason why I shouldn't just move this thread to general discussion? It clearly belongs there.

13. Nov 18, 2006 #12

Mk

The way this is going I think it would rather be locked.

We answered the original question, and it is simple that we can't define life all that well.

14. Nov 18, 2006 #13

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I agree. Bye-bye. If you want to continue, do it on GD.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?