1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of Limit

1. Nov 15, 2011 #1
    This isn't really a homework problem, but I was wondering why in the precise definition of a limit do we choose to make [tex] |f(x)-L| < ε [/tex] and not less than or equal to ε? I was just wondering. I asked my professor, he said he'd think about it, but he never got back to me.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2012 #2
    Technically you could define it as ≤ ε, but it would be less natural. With the delta-epsilon definition, you define a range of values for x within a certain window (δ). For the given function, this defines a window around a range of y values (ε). If you change it to ≤ ε, you include the window as part of the range. It is more intuitive if the range of values is within a given window or < ε.

4. Jun 29, 2012 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This thread is from last year. Please be careful to check the date when posting.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook