What is the true definition of love?

In summary, love is an overwhelming emotion that seems to go hand-in-hand with hate. It is a powerful motivator that can alter a person's habits.
The Sphinx
I know there is no some definition of it, but I just wanted to know what you think. If you were asked "What is love?", what would you say?

Love is ...

Physics news on Phys.org
hot nuts on a cold day

I can accommodate you there... :uhh:

there are lots of definitions of love. sternberg came up with 7 different types, depending on 3 things: committment, intimacy & passion. (find the power set of this set & throw away the empty set :tongue2: )
here's a description on good ol wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangular_theory_of_love
1. Liking includes only one of the love components - intimacy. In this case, liking is not used in a trivial sense. Sternberg says that this intimate liking characterizes true friendships, in which a person feels a bondedness, a warmth, and a closeness with another but not intense passion or long-term commitment.
2. Infatuated love consists solely of passion and is often what is felt as "love at first sight." But without the intimacy and the commitment components of love, infatuated love may disappear suddenly.
3. Empty love consists of the commitment component without intimacy or passion. Sometimes, a stronger love deteriorates into empty love, in which the commitment remains, but the intimacy and passion have died. In cultures in which arranged marriages are common, relationships often begin as empty love.
4. Romantic love is a combination of intimacy and passion. Romantic lovers are bonded emotionally (as in liking) and physically through passionate arousal.
5. Companionate love consists of intimacy and commitment. This type of love is often found in marriages in which the passion has gone out of the relationship, but a deep affection and commitment remain.
6. Fatuous love has the passion and the commitment components but not the intimacy component. This type of love can be exemplified by a whirlwind courtship and marriage in which a commitment is motivated largely by passion, without the stabilizing influence of intimacy.
7. Consummate love is the only type of love that includes all three components--intimacy, passion and commitment. Consummate love is the most complete form of love, and it represents the ideal love relationship for which many people strive but which apparently few achieve. Sternberg cautions that maintaining a consummate love may be even harder than achieving it. He stresses the importance of translating the components of love into action. "Without expression," he warns, "even the greatest of loves can die"

there's more info in mark knapp's interpersonal comminication in human relationships, and more still in sharon brehm's intimate relationships.
another definition that i saw in one of those books is that someone is in love when things that happen to the other person become as important as things that happen to themselves.

Last edited:
Sleep...

I'd say that love is an emotion that overwhelms. This can be for a person, an ideal, an activity, etc. The flip-side could be considered hate, but I think that hatred is basically the same as love, except that hate is violent.

I'll explain myself so as not to be attacked:

Both love and hate override rational thought.
Love and hate seem to go hand-in-hand (thin line between love and hate, basically)Afterall, some people love to hate and some people hate to love. Myself, I prefer love over hate in all instances because it creates mutual happiness and safety.

So, yeah, love is overwhelming emotion.

To fall in love with oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance..

A noun.

sorry

romantic love is simply freedom from boredom and loneliness, and one of the few socially appropriate forms of such pursuits. It's an emotion powerful enough to alter a person's habits.

better yet, love is freedom from thought.

Smurf said:
A noun.

sorry

A waste of time better spent.

GCT said:
better yet, love is freedom from thought.

Sounds like hell to me.

And here I was thinking religion was freedom from thought.

Sorry, I'm kinda cantankerous today. Don't get too close, I might bite.

Selfless affection and loyalty for something or someone. That or *I hope I don't get banned* edit by Evo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Entropy said:
Selfless affection and loyalty for something or someone. That or *I hope I don't get banned* edit by Evo..

*snicker*:biggrin: *snicker*

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the definition of love?

The definition of love is a strong feeling of affection or deep attachment towards someone or something. It is often described as a complex mix of emotions, behaviors, and beliefs.

Can love be defined scientifically?

While love is a universal human experience, it is difficult to define scientifically because it involves subjective feelings and experiences that are unique to each individual. However, researchers have identified some common biological and psychological factors that contribute to the experience of love.

Is love the same as attraction?

No, love and attraction are not the same. Attraction is typically based on physical or superficial qualities, while love involves a deeper emotional connection and understanding of a person or thing.

How is love different from attachment?

Love and attachment are often used interchangeably, but they have distinct differences. Love is a feeling of deep connection and affection, while attachment is a long-lasting bond that forms between two individuals, often based on dependency and familiarity.

Can love be scientifically measured?

While love cannot be measured in a quantitative sense, researchers have developed tools and methods to assess different aspects of love, such as attachment styles, levels of intimacy, and relationship satisfaction. However, these measurements are subjective and can vary from person to person.