1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of meaningful product

1. Feb 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am studying Hungerford's book "Algebra". In the page 27 he defines the meaningful product as follows.

Given any sequence of elements of a semigroup G,>{a1,a2,…} define inductively a meaningful product (in this order) as follows. If n=1, then the only meaningful product is a1. If n>1, then a meaningful product is defined to be any product of the form (a1⋯am)(am+1⋯an) where m<n and (a1⋯am) and (am+1⋯an) are meaningful products of m and n−m elements respectively.

He notes next the following:

To show that this definition is in the fact well defined requires a stronger version of Recursion Theorem 6.2 of the Introduction; see C.W. Burril: Foundations of Real Numbers.

I don't have access to this book, so I would like to know this version and see how to use it, or a reference if possible.

I've never seen this definition before. Is it really necessary to define a meaningful product in order to prove that Generalized Associative law holds on a semigroup?

Thanks for your help.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted