Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of nuclide

1. Apr 13, 2004 #1
    definition of "nuclide"

I apologize to all the hardened physicists out there. I have a trivial question. What is the exact definition of the term "nuclide."

The problem is that I see it bouced around and used different ways that seem to conflict. Also, I see it being used synonymously as other words.

The way I see it used most often makes me think that it is simply a synonym for "isotope." I also get the impression that the only difference between the two is sort of grammatical. For instance you would say "Fluorine-19 is the only known isotope of that element. It is its only nuclide."

The only difference here is that "isotope" is followed by "of."

Please help me. I know this sounds stupid but knowing the precise definition might help me grade some freshman chemistry exams.
    :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2004 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Isotopes refer to varieties of a given element. Nuclides refer to anything made up of nucleons (protons or neutrons).

4. Apr 16, 2004 #3
    Then why is the term necessary? Aren't things made of nucleons called nuclei?

5. Apr 16, 2004 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is somewhat of a referential difference. A nuclide is discussed by itself, while a nucleus is discussed in reference to an atom. Both terms do refer to the same things.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?