Understanding Bertrand Russell's Definition of Number

• Thread starter Barbie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definition
In summary, Russell defines a number as a class of classes that are similar to each other, and the membership of this class is a common property of all the similar classes and no others. This definition is part of Russell's larger logicist program, which aims to show that pure mathematics can be reduced to fundamental logical principles and concepts.
Barbie
Hi, guys! I am looking for help understanding Russell's definition of a number for a grad math class. Any help will be much appreciated.

I have a paper from class that I can't find online to post here, but this is the actual "definition": (Ignore the circular appearance of the wording)

"The number of a class is the class of all those classes that are similar to it." thus "A number is anything which is the number of some class." -Bertrand Russell

(He is only talking about whole cardinal numbers here of course)

Here is an explanation I found online for you guys since I can't show you my paper:

According to Russell, the goal of the logicist programme is to show that

all pure mathematics deals exclusively with concepts definable in terms of a very small number of fundamental logical concepts, and that all its propositions are deducible from a very small number of fundamental logical principles (Russell 1903: v).

That is to say, pure mathematics is defined as a class of propositions asserting formal implications and containing only logical constants. The logical constants are: implication, the relation of a term to a class of which it is a member, the notion of such that, the notion of relation, and the notions that are involved in formal implication, that is, truth, propositional function, class, denoting, and any or every term (Russell 1903: 106). According to Russell, the above apparatus of general logical notions is sufficient to establish "the whole theory of cardinal integers as a special branch of logic" (Russell 1903: 111). In his view, the "irreproachable" definition of number in purely logical terms is to define number as a class of classes. Two classes have the same number when their terms can be correlated one to one so that anyone term of either class corresponds to one and only one term of the other class. When the two classes have the same number, Russell calls them similar. The number of a class is the class of all classes similar to the given class. The Membership of this class of classes is a common property of all the similar classes and no others (Russell 1903: 115).

*** I did have a spark somewhere in my brain ( :biggrin: ), but I want to hear opinions of others as well. What do you think of this definition? How do you understand it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Barbie said:
Hi, guys! I am looking for help understanding Russell's definition of a number for a grad math class. Any help will be much appreciated.

I have a paper from class that I can't find online to post here, but this is the actual "definition": (Ignore the circular appearance of the wording)

"The number of a class is the class of all those classes that are similar to it." thus "A number is anything which is the number of some class." -Bertrand Russell

(He is only talking about whole cardinal numbers here of course)

Here is an explanation I found online for you guys since I can't show you my paper:

According to Russell, the goal of the logicist programme is to show that

all pure mathematics deals exclusively with concepts definable in terms of a very small number of fundamental logical concepts, and that all its propositions are deducible from a very small number of fundamental logical principles (Russell 1903: v).

That is to say, pure mathematics is defined as a class of propositions asserting formal implications and containing only logical constants. The logical constants are: implication, the relation of a term to a class of which it is a member, the notion of such that, the notion of relation, and the notions that are involved in formal implication, that is, truth, propositional function, class, denoting, and any or every term (Russell 1903: 106). According to Russell, the above apparatus of general logical notions is sufficient to establish "the whole theory of cardinal integers as a special branch of logic" (Russell 1903: 111). In his view, the "irreproachable" definition of number in purely logical terms is to define number as a class of classes. Two classes have the same number when their terms can be correlated one to one so that anyone term of either class corresponds to one and only one term of the other class. When the two classes have the same number, Russell calls them similar. The number of a class is the class of all classes similar to the given class. The Membership of this class of classes is a common property of all the similar classes and no others (Russell 1903: 115).

*** I did have a spark somewhere in my brain ( :biggrin: ), but I want to hear opinions of others as well. What do you think of this definition? How do you understand it?

Russell's definition is not circular, despite appearances, but only when you succeed in formulating it without resorting to the concept of a number, which is a class of similar classes. Now you need a definition of similar classes, which are any two classes with a one-to-one correspondence between their elements. However, this latter definition still depends on the numbers two (any two classes) and one (one-to-one correspondence). We need a number-free definition of similar classes. But for now this will help you better understand Russell's definition.

1. What is Bertrand Russell's definition of number?

Bertrand Russell's definition of number is a philosophical concept that defines numbers as logical classes or sets that can be used to classify objects and concepts. According to Russell, numbers are not physical entities but rather abstract concepts that are used to organize and understand the world around us.

2. How does Bertrand Russell's definition of number differ from other definitions?

Russell's definition of number differs from other definitions in that it does not view numbers as concrete objects or properties of objects. Instead, it sees numbers as logical classes or sets that are created by the mind to organize and understand the world.

3. What is the significance of Bertrand Russell's definition of number?

Bertrand Russell's definition of number has significant implications for mathematics and philosophy. It challenges traditional views of numbers as concrete objects and instead presents them as abstract concepts. This perspective has influenced the development of set theory and has also sparked debates about the nature of mathematical knowledge and reality.

4. How does Bertrand Russell's definition of number relate to his theory of logical atomism?

Bertrand Russell's theory of logical atomism states that the world can be understood through logical analysis of its basic components. In this theory, numbers are seen as one of these basic components, and their definition as logical classes or sets supports the idea that the world can be reduced to logical principles and elements.

5. Is Bertrand Russell's definition of number widely accepted?

Bertrand Russell's definition of number is still a topic of debate among philosophers and mathematicians. While some adhere to his view of numbers as logical classes, others argue that numbers do have a physical existence. Ultimately, the acceptance of Russell's definition may depend on one's philosophical beliefs about the nature of reality and mathematics.