1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Definition of plasma

Tags:
  1. Jul 5, 2016 #1
    So, on wikipedia is said that a plasma is an ionized gas, just that, but when we think about plasma we think that is hot, so here's the question:

What is the right definition of plasma?

Does being a ionized gas also imply being hot and then saying only that is an ionized gas is enough?

I mean can a ionized gas exist at the standard temperature of 300 K?

Since a plasma is a blob of electrons and ions once they get cooled they loose kinetic energy and tend to bond again forming atoms right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2016 #2

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

That is the correct definition of plasma. Plasma does not have to always be hot. It can be cold, too.

4. Jul 5, 2016 #3
    But how can it be cold if the ions and the electrons recombine if there is not enough energy?

5. Jul 5, 2016 #4

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not sure what you mean. The ions and electrons don't recombine. Nonthermal plasma is partially ionized gas. Most of the energy is stored in the free electrons and the overall temperature of the plasma is low.

6. Jul 5, 2016 #5
    Fire is a cold plasma?

7. Jul 5, 2016 #6

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

8. Jul 5, 2016 #7
  9. Jul 5, 2016 #8
    But, if you have a plasma, and you freeze it, don't the electrons recombine forming atoms and then returning to gas?

10. Jul 5, 2016 #9

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Freezing is a specific phase transition, when a liquid turns into a solid. However you are correct that if you lower the temperature of the plasma the electrons will recombine with the ions/atom to form a gas.

Note that there is a difference between a cold and a hot plasma. I don't know the details, but I'd guess the "cold" plasma is only cold relative to a fully ionized plasma which is "hot". A cold plasma is not cold enough to recombine.

11. Jul 5, 2016 #10
    So, here is the point, how can a plasma be cold if once you low the temperature (by saying freezing I was meaning cooling) it return to gas?

Using electric fields to leave the ions and electrons separated?
    Is this right?

12. Jul 5, 2016 #11

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I edited my post to explain what I know on that (which isn't much). Not sure if you saw it or not.

13. Jul 5, 2016 #12
    Yes I just saw it thanks :)

14. Jul 5, 2016 #13

TheDemx27

Gold Member

From your link: "To create a plasma takes more energy, and requires a higher temperature than the flame provides. The collisions between atoms need to be energetic enough to kick an electron completely out of the atom."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted