Definition of Strong and Weak form of a theorem

In summary, the terms "strong" and "weak" in mathematics refer to the strength or generality of a theorem. A theorem is considered strong if it has more hypotheses and proves a stronger result, while a theorem is considered weak if it has fewer hypotheses and proves a weaker result. However, there are exceptions to this rule and in some cases, the strong and weak versions of a theorem can actually be equivalent. Additionally, if a theorem can be proven with fewer hypotheses or weaker assumptions, it is considered to have been "strengthened" or made more general. Ultimately, these terms do not carry much information and should not be a major concern in understanding theorems.
JFo
Could someone explain to me what it means for a theorem to be a strong(er) form or a weak(er) form of another theorem?

I've heard these terms used over and over, but never bothered to ask. If I had to guess at a definition, I'd say that if q is a theorem then we say p is stronger if p implies q. Similarly p is weaker if q implies p. Am I close?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes. Generally - aren't there always exceptions in mathematics.

As a general rule the strong version will need more hypotheses than the weak version, but correspondingly prove a result that is stronger (and implies the weaker version).

This is not always the case, as there is at least on situation where the strong and weak version actually are equivalent: induction and strong induction are the same, but phrased differently so that one seems like a stronger (more powerful) result.

Thanks. I know it's mostly semantics, but I couldn't find a definition, or even a description, anywhere.

So if we have a theorem, and are then able to show that we can drop one of the hypotheses (or replace it with a weaker hypothesis) and still obtain the same result, would that be considered "strengthening" or "weakening"

Intuitively I would think strengthening, but then I don't know how that fits in with the quasi-definition given above since we have less hypotheses but the result remains unchanged. Or is this a different meaning of strong/weak entirely?

JFo said:
So if we have a theorem, and are then able to show that we can drop one of the hypotheses (or replace it with a weaker hypothesis) and still obtain the same result, would that be considered "strengthening" or "weakening"

Intuitively I would think strengthening, but then I don't know how that fits in with the quasi-definition given above since we have less hypotheses but the result remains unchanged. Or is this a different meaning of strong/weak entirely?

The theorem that assumes less in the hypothesis is "stronger" or "more general". I wouldn't worry too much about what these terms exactly mean though, since they don't carry much information.

1. What is the difference between strong and weak form of a theorem?

The strong form of a theorem is a statement that is universally true and applies to all situations and conditions. The weak form, on the other hand, is a statement that is only true under certain conditions or assumptions.

2. How do you determine the strong and weak form of a theorem?

The strong form of a theorem can be determined by looking at its logical structure and determining if it applies universally. The weak form, on the other hand, can be determined by identifying the conditions or assumptions that must be met for the statement to be true.

3. Can a weak form of a theorem be proven to be true?

Yes, a weak form of a theorem can be proven to be true by satisfying the conditions or assumptions that are stated in the statement. However, it may not hold true in all situations.

4. Why are strong and weak forms of theorems important in mathematics?

Strong and weak forms of theorems are important because they allow for a more nuanced understanding and application of mathematical concepts. They also help to clarify the scope and limitations of a theorem, making it easier to work with and apply in various scenarios.

5. Can a theorem have more than one strong or weak form?

Yes, a theorem can have multiple strong or weak forms, as different conditions or assumptions may lead to different versions of the statement being true. However, each form must be clearly defined and distinguished from the others.