Understanding the Meaning of 'Time' in Simple Terms: A Quick Explanation

Time is the measurement of the duration of events, while space is the measurement of the physical distance between objects. Both time and space are affected by motion and gravity, as described by the theories of Special and General Relativity. However, the exact definition of time remains a philosophical debate, as it is a concept that is difficult to define in objective terms.
prasannapakkiam
I don't wish to start another philisophical discussion about timespace or relativity. I have searched the forum but can someone quickly tell me what the definition of 'Time' is. Please use fundamental terms only. Do not use duration or period as this is as if a synomyn. Here is Encarta's definition: "A period in which an action/event takes to occur. Time can be affected through motion (SR) or space (GR)." But notice the use of the term period. So can someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's just call it the fourth dimension and leave it at that. things get very compicated to explain unless you want to indulge yourself in relativistic mathematical equations.

Well... I am writing this PDF called: "The Mathematics of Special Relativity". In the Glossary section I have a word calle time... I just want to know what to put in it

Also if it were a 4th Dimension, I just think of it parametrically, still that does not define it... I just want a simple fundamental definition to type in the slot for TIME in the Glossary

You could just define it as the 4th co ordinate t in the Minkowski model of space-time. That shouldn't cause any problems seeing as you are describing the mathematics of space-time..

Time is a "primary concept", and you cannot define it. You can define mathematical things and call them "time". But the time that you "feel" with the pulse in your wrists, the time that makes you get older, cannot be defined.

Yes that is what I thought, as it is after all an SI Unit. I think I shall just define it in a sort of parametric way...

You can use the phrase of wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time
In Physics, time and space are considered fundamental (i.e. they cannot be defined in other terms)

What is the concept of time?

The concept of time is the measurement of the duration of events or the intervals between them. It is a fundamental aspect of our daily lives and is used to organize and understand the order of events.

How is time measured?

Time is commonly measured using units such as seconds, minutes, hours, days, and years. These units are based on the movements of the Earth, such as its rotation on its axis and its orbit around the sun.

Is time a physical or a human construct?

This is a debated topic in the scientific community. Some argue that time is a physical property of the universe, while others believe it is a human construct used to organize and make sense of our experiences.

Can time be manipulated?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time can be affected by factors such as gravity and velocity. However, human beings do not have the ability to manipulate time in the sense of going back or forward in time.

Why is it difficult to define time?

The concept of time is difficult to define because it is a fundamental aspect of our reality and is often taken for granted. Its perception and understanding also vary among different cultures, making it a complex and abstract concept to explain.