Definition of Topology - What Does {##U_\alpha | \alpha \in I##} Mean?

In summary: S## has an infinite number of members. In summary, the topology on the real line is the weakest topology because it allows for infinite unions and does not require that the sets be closed.
Silviu
Hello! I just started reading an introductory book about topology and I got a bit confused from the definition. One of the condition for a topological space is that if ##\tau## is a collection of subsets of X, we have {##U_\alpha | \alpha \in I##} implies ##\cup_{\alpha \in I} U_\alpha \in \tau ##. I assume this means that for any 2 sets in ##\tau## their union is also in ##\tau##. But I really don't understand the notation. What does {##U_\alpha | \alpha \in I##} mean? And how is it related to ##\tau##? And what is I? There is nothing before this, to define "I" and I found this definition in different books, so I assume i am missing something here. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
A topological space ##(X,\tau)## is a set ##X## together with a set ##\tau## of subsets ##U_\alpha \subseteq X\, , \,\alpha \in I##. This means any number of subsets. Next there are some requirements for this set of sets ##\tau = \{U_\alpha \subseteq X\, | \,\alpha \in I\}##.
The empty set ##\emptyset## as well as the entire set ##X## have to be elements of ##\tau##.
Any finite intersection of ##U_\alpha \in \tau## must also be an element of ##\tau##.
Any arbitrary union of ##U_\alpha \in \tau## must also be an element of ##\tau##.
If these requirements hold, then ##\tau## is called a topology on ##X##, which means the elements ##U_\alpha## of ##\tau## are the subsets of ##X## we call open.

In short: A topology on ##X## is the definition ##\tau## of sets, which we call open sets.
As long as the conditions above hold, we're free to choose any subsets of ##X## as open. That's why spaces can carry more than one topology.

Likes Silviu
fresh_42 said:
A topological space ##(X,\tau)## is a set ##X## together with a set ##\tau## of subsets ##U_\alpha \subseteq X\, , \,\alpha \in I##. This means any number of subsets. Next there are some requirements for this set of sets ##\tau = \{U_\alpha \subseteq X\, | \,\alpha \in I\}##.
The empty set ##\emptyset## as well as the entire set ##X## have to be elements of ##\tau##.
Any finite intersection of ##U_\alpha \in \tau## must also be an element of ##\tau##.
Any arbitrary union of ##U_\alpha \in \tau## must also be an element of ##\tau##.
If these requirements hold, then ##\tau## is called a topology on ##X##, which means the elements ##U_\alpha## of ##\tau## are the subsets of ##X## we call open.

In short: A topology on ##X## is the definition ##\tau## of sets, which we call open sets.
As long as the conditions above hold, we're free to choose any subsets of ##X## as open. That's why spaces can carry more than one topology.
Thank you for your reply. It makes more sense now. So, just to make sure I understand, for example in R, we can define ##\emptyset## and R as the open sets in R and in this topology, by definition there are only 2 open sets? And the fact that we usually consider any interval (a,b) to be an open set in R is just a particular choice of topology on R?

Silviu said:
Thank you for your reply. It makes more sense now. So, just to make sure I understand, for example in R, we can define ##\emptyset## and R as the open sets in R and in this topology, by definition there are only 2 open sets? And the fact that we usually consider any interval (a,b) to be an open set in R is just a particular choice of topology on R?
Yes.
You probably see, that ##\{\emptyset,\mathbb{R}\}## isn't very interesting as a topology. It's the weakest or coarsest topology you can choose. The strongest or finest topology would be to declare for every single point ##p## the set ##\{p\}## as open set, which makes all subsets open (and simultaneously closed).

The "usual" topology defined by open intervals, is the topology, that comes from the Euclidean norm of ##\mathbb{R}## which gives us a tool to measure distances and ##"<"## conditions define something open, ##"\geq"## conditions something closed.

Likes Silviu
Silviu said:
One of the condition for a topological space is that if ##\tau## is a collection of subsets of X, we have {##U_\alpha | \alpha \in I##} implies ##\cup_{\alpha \in I} U_\alpha \in \tau ##.
For example, suppose we are in the "usual" topology on the real line where open intervals are examples of open sets. let ##I## denote the set of real numbers that are not rational numbers of the form ##\frac{k}{2^n}## where ##k## and ##n## are positive integers. For each ##r \in I## define ##U_r## to be the open interval ##( r - e^{-|r|}, r + e^{-|r|} )##. The union ##S## of all the sets ##U_r## cannot be represented as an infinite series of unions of the form ##U_{r_1} \cup U_{r_2} \cup U_{r_3} \cup ...## because such a representation assumes the indices are the countable infinity of integers, which isn't sufficient to index the uncountable number of sets we are dealing with. So the notation ##S = \cup_{\alpha \in I} U_{\alpha}## is used to indicate the uncountable union.

This is illustrates the distinction between an "arbitrary" union and a "countably infinite union".

Last edited:

1. What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of spaces, particularly those that remain unchanged under continuous transformations.

2. What is the meaning of {##U_\alpha | \alpha \in I##} in topology?

{##U_\alpha | \alpha \in I##} refers to the collection of open sets in a topological space, where ##\alpha## is an index and ##I## is a set of indices. This notation is commonly used to describe the structure of a topological space.

3. How is topology different from geometry?

Topology is concerned with the properties of spaces that remain unchanged under continuous transformations, while geometry deals with the properties of shapes and their measurements. Topology is more abstract and does not rely on the concept of distance or angles.

4. What are some applications of topology?

Topology has many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and biology. It is used to study the behavior of complex systems, analyze networks and data, and model biological structures.

5. What are the different types of topological spaces?

There are several types of topological spaces, including metric spaces, normed spaces, topological manifolds, and algebraic varieties. Each type has its own set of defining properties and is used to study different mathematical concepts.