Work: Definition & Explanation

In summary, work is the amount of energy exchanged in executing an action through a non-spontaneous method.
Tony Stark
Can work be explained in following context-

Work done is the amount of energy exchanged in executing an action through non-spontaneous method.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tony Stark said:
executing an action through non-spontaneous method.

What does this mean?

Tony Stark said:
Work done is the amount of energy exchanged
This is good. The rest seems wrong. The usual definition is "energy exchanged by any means other than heat"

I think the equation W=Fd explains it all. If a force acts on a body, it gives it energy, potential or kinetic, or it does work to the system.

Likes Nugatory
Tony Stark said:
through non-spontaneous method.
Just to add, say you cover up a positively charged magnet with a thick material so that it can't affect a nearby negatively charged particle. For one millisecond, you uncover the magnet and the particle quickly accelerates towards the magnet. This is spontaneous, is it not? Was work done? Yes.

Isaac0427 said:
I think the equation W=Fd explains it all. If a force acts on a body, it gives it energy, potential or kinetic, or it does work to the system.
It's probably better to say "acts for a distance" instead of "acts on a body" (put a weight on a table and a force is acting on the table but no work is being done - unless the table breaks under the load)... But with said, yes W=Fd does pretty much say it all.

Isaac0427 said:
I think that it should be made clearer that this is the definition of work done 'on' an object and not the work done 'by' an agency. This would remove the possible confusion when efficiency is brought in. The 'agency' could be doing much more work than is being usefully provided to the object.

Nugatory said:
It's probably better to say "acts for a distance" instead of "acts on a body" (put a weight on a table and a force is acting on the table but no work is being done - unless the table breaks under the load)... But with said, yes W=Fd does pretty much say it all.
I prefer the "energy transferred" definition because it applies for fields too, and it helps me keep things straight in complicated scenarios.

Likes sophiecentaur

What is work?

Work is defined as the exertion of force or effort in order to achieve a goal or produce a desired result. It can also refer to a particular task or job that is performed as part of one's occupation or duties.

How is work measured?

Work is typically measured in units of energy, such as joules or foot-pounds. It can also be measured in units of time, such as hours or minutes, depending on the context in which it is being used.

What are the different types of work?

There are several different types of work, including mechanical work, electrical work, thermal work, and chemical work. Mechanical work involves the use of physical force to move an object, while electrical work involves the flow of electricity. Thermal work involves the transfer of heat, and chemical work involves the transformation of one substance into another.

What factors affect the amount of work done?

The amount of work done is affected by several factors, including the force applied, the distance over which the force is applied, and the angle between the force and the direction of motion. Other factors that may affect work include friction, gravity, and the type of surface or material being worked on.

How is work related to energy?

Work and energy are closely related concepts. Work is the transfer of energy from one object to another, or the conversion of one form of energy into another. The amount of work done is equal to the change in energy, and the unit of work (joule) is also the same as the unit of energy. In other words, work is a way of measuring energy.